Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best pot roast I've ever made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best pot roast I've ever made

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2387.JPG
Views:	481
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	274974 One of the interesting things about this site is I think it's made all of my cooking better. Especially with my Dutch oven.

I cut a chuck into three parts (I'm going to need to buy a larger one someday), salted and put on Cash cow rub, seared in the pot for three minutes each side and then set it aside.

Deglazed with beef broth and then cooked an onion that I chunked and half a bulb of garlic. Let it cook covered for five minutes then deglazed again and then added the chuck back in, put more stock until about 3/4 covered, threw in some bay leaves and a sachet of rosemary and thyme and put in the oven at 275.

After an hour I added the potatoes and carrots and let it go for another two and half. It came out fork tender and so flavorful. Exactly what I always thought pot roast would taste like but never able to achieve. So thankful things I'm learning here are bleeding into all aspects of my cooking. I mean, I can't smoke/grill everything right?

Congrats. It's always nice when you get it right.

Comment

First of all, Yes, you can grill everything!! I love cooking pot roast in the dutch. There is something about those potatoes, onions, carrots and that big old pot roast that takes me back to my childhood. Coming home from school in the winter, and smelling that warm, beefy smell that permitted the house. They say that your sense of smell is directly tied to your memory. I know this to be true.

And if you need a bigger dutch. Check out the Lodge12 QT!! That is one of my #5 Griswold skillets sitting inside of the Dutch. I call this one. The IRON MAIDEN, after the mid-evil torture device. I mean look at the under side of that 5 lb. lid! But she also makes a beast of a Pot roast!!!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Iron Maiden Total.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	274988Click image for larger version  Name:	Iron Maiden:Griswold.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	274987Click image for larger version  Name:	Iron Maiden.JPG Views:	1 Size:	8.52 MB ID:	274989
      Last edited by Spinaker; February 12, 2017, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
        Obi-Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a Lodge 10" 4 qt. camp Dutch oven (it has the little feet). I equally love it and my Le Crueset. Both just amazing things to cook in.

• ssandy_561
        ssandy_561 commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you sure it's not called Iron Maiden because you need to invite Satan over to help you lift it? 🤘🏼

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, there is that. The Maiden is always doing the devils work. Except when ever I break it out, they always seem to run FROM the hills, not to the Hills..........instead to my patio. ssandy_561

I grew up on pot roast. Taught my wife the importance of a good sear. Other than that she add the onion, carrots, potatoes, etc....whenever she likes.

Comment

• Abom
        Abom commented
        Editing a comment
        Obi-Dan I did too. I fixed the dried out problem (the bane of my childhood) but I have to admit I'm so used to mushy carrots and potatoes that I prefer them that way! LOL

• Mikey C
        Mikey C commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL..I too grew up on the brown chunk of round that we had to use ketchup to get down. The good ole days

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Anything but pea's...no pea's....I hate pea's....
        And 10-4 on the ketchup, lotsa ketchup

You're killing me Spinaker I also made a beef stew today in the crock pot. And all day long I was thinking this might be so much better in a dutch oven. Than you show me this. Damn I guess I'm getting back on Amazon to get me another lodge ci. You know it will be my 4th ci accusation in the last 3-4 months. And I'm loving them.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Great to hear!! Cast Iron is the greatest!! What else have you picked up? Steve B

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        I got a 9" and 13" skillets and a 10" deep skillet. 3 in all so far.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        FYI, Academy carries a pretty good assortment of Lodge CI, if you don't want to wait or pay shipping.

Also, more and more stores are going to online ordering with in-store pickup, which generally eliminates the shipping cost and may even shorten the wait, even if they don't have it in stock in your store.

BTW, I ordered something from Sam's that way recently and found out that they charge you to text you when your order is in, but, as far as I can tell, they don't charge to just email you.

I did pot roast Sat and it was great. Must have something to do with the weather.

We had a smallish piece of chuck roast, maybe 2-1/2 lbs. Kind of followed Kenji's approach. Le Creuset saute pan, Season and pepper the beef about a half-hour ahead of time, chop the veggies, then brown the beef about 5 minutes a side on high. Pull the beef, go to medium high, add some carrots and celery for a few minutes til soft, add a big sliced onion, cook until light brown and tender. Meanwhile mix up a couple Tbs each of tomato paste and soy sauce, a few anchovies and a few cloves of garlic, crush to a paste, and add to the pan. Mix in a couple Tbs of flour until dissolved. Add almost a full bottle of red wine and simmer down to about half volume. Put the chuck back in and add about 3-4 cups of reconstituted chicken broth ("Better than Boullion"). Bring to a simmer, cover and stick in the oven preheated to 250. At 2 hours, add some chopped carrots and potatoes. Cook for another hour or so (beef tender).

At the same time, the Missus roasted some fresh pineapple.

Yum! And even better the next night.
      Last edited by EdF; February 13, 2017, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
        Obi-Dan commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds incredible. Roasted and grilled pineapple with vanilla ice cream make a great dessert. It was in the '80s and sunny here in Houston this weekend so not sure why I made it. Hard to believe a friend of mine in Maine is snowed bound in her house.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, sometimes the inspiration grabs you! That's what the BBQ Muses are all about, right?

Congrats......NICE job!!

Comment

Obi-Dan I've done chuck on my egg for 5 hours first at 250, IT gets to around 180 or so. Then finish it for 3 hours or so in the DO. No need to sear, this pot roast actually has a little bark. The bark takes on a different form entirely after a cast iron dutch oven beating. The liquid and subsequent gravy was plenty flavorful despite no deglaze (I did deglaze onions).

Absolutely delicious. I've done them traditional sear then DO and also a good long cook outside first. Try it! Can't say I like one better than the other.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
          Obi-Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          You've sold me. That sounds amazing. Going to do this next time.

That's a good looking pot roast and I do love me a good pot roast. Throw some buttered bread and hot chili peppers on the side and it the perfect comfort food.

Sometimes I skip the regular veggies and go with onions garlic and mushrooms, add a little red wine and tomato paste and cook it till almost shred and put it over egg noodles. Is it still considered pot roast though?

Comment

• Obi-Dan
          Obi-Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          No way my wife lets me skip the veggies but if it were up to me every dish would have onions, garlic, and mushrooms cooked with it. And I like the egg noodle idea.

Originally posted by Obi-Dan View Post

ID:	274974 I can't smoke/grill everything right?
        Congratulations on the cook, that looks good!

Recently I've been throwing my chuck roasts into the smoker before they;re seared and thrown into the slow cooker. Adds some nice smoke flavor to pot roasts and stews.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
          Obi-Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds delicious. I will try this next time.

I bought a "Swiss Diamond" dutch oven, which is a cheaper version of a "Le Crueset" style. Anywho, I shall try your recipe Obi-Dan with the exception that the sear will be via high heat charcoal on the Weber. Yes it will be the maiden cook in the Swiss Diamond D.O.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
          Obi-Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          Can't wait to hear how it comes out. Bet the sear from the Weber will add some really great flavor.

• Greg A BigBillsFan
          Greg A BigBillsFan commented
          Editing a comment
          The flavor was over the top. TY for the recipe. The meat was a bit dry however. I did dry brine it for 2 days too, so not sure why it was dry. It was super tender and wonderfully flavorful however. I would make it again for sure. My wife wants me to make my famous "Philly Style" steak sammies from the leftover beef and onions. I will update on that result as well. (:-)

• Obi-Dan
          Obi-Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          Greg A BigBillsFan Glad the flavors came out for you. Not sure about the dryness. Just sounds like a great excuse to buy another one. Now I’m hungry for your Famous Philly-style cheese steaks.

Originally posted by Obi-Dan View Post

ID:	274974 One of the interesting things about this site is I think it's made all of my cooking better. Especially with my Dutch oven.

I cut a chuck into three parts (I'm going to need to buy a larger one someday), salted and put on Cash cow rub, seared in the pot for three minutes each side and then set it aside.

Deglazed with beef broth and then cooked an onion that I chunked and half a bulb of garlic. Let it cook covered for five minutes then deglazed again and then added the chuck back in, put more stock until about 3/4 covered, threw in some bay leaves and a sachet of rosemary and thyme and put in the oven at 275.

After an hour I added the potatoes and carrots and let it go for another two and half. It came out fork tender and so flavorful. Exactly what I always thought pot roast would taste like but never able to achieve. So thankful things I'm learning here are bleeding into all aspects of my cooking. I mean, I can't smoke/grill everything right?
        I was browsing around and ran across this recipe and EdF's recipes and will add that along with the herbs I use a bottle of Burgundy wine and beef stock as needed, but the kicker is orange zest, I peel about 3 1 inch strips of zest off, and a 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves. The combination is amazing.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
          Obi-Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          I will try that next time. Thanks for sharing.

I sometimes throw a lemon half into the braising liquid and fish it out and discard before the pot roast is served. Half of an orange would be good too. A bit of citrus is also good in braised chicken with homemade noodles (or dumplings) -- that's another comfort food I grew up on. It's on a par with pot roast to my mind.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
          Obi-Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe I’ll try a lemon and an orange next time.

• IowaGirl
          IowaGirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Too much citrus can overwhelm the flavor of the meat and can even be unpleasant, so I'd err on less rather than more until you know the flavor profile that you like. I usually use 1/2 of a lemon or 1/2 of an orange for a 3-4 pound pot roast or one large stewed chicken.

looks awesome !

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here