Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dutch Oven: Forty Mile Stew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dutch Oven: Forty Mile Stew

First off, I don't know why it's called "Forty Mile Stew". I've heard two versions to the story, and both work: This is what you make when you're forty miles into your hiking/rafting/canoeing trip, or, eating this will get you along for another forty miles. In either event, here's the recipe:

INGREDIENTS

2-3 pounds round steak, cut into 1" cubes
    2 pounds breakfast sausage, made into patties
    1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
    1/4 cup olive or salad oil (for browning the meat)
    3 pounds of potatoes, sliced about 1/3" thick
    2 large tomatoes, sliced 1/3" thick
    1/2 pound green peppers, quartered, and sliced
    1 large yellow onion, sliced 1/3" thick
    seasonings to taste
    1 pound sharp cheddar (or other fairly strong cheese), sliced 1/3" thick

Using your camp stove or 15-18 briquettes, brown the meat cubes in a 12" DO with the oil. Just as the meat finishes browning, toss in the mushrooms. Remove from heat and make sure none of the meat has stuck to the bottom. Layer the potato slices over the meat and season to taste with salt, pepper, or your favorite camp seasoning.

In whatever order you like, layer the tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and onions. Place the sausage patties over the last layer of veggies (you should be at or very near the top of the DO).

Bake slowly with 6-8 briquettes underneath, and 15-18 on top of the lid. Add more charcoal after one hour as needed, and bake for another 30-40 minutes.

With the moisture that cooks out of the vegetables, this winds up being more of a casserole than what we would normally think of as a stew.

10 minutes before you are ready to serve, remove the coals from the lid, and layer the cheese slices on top of the sausage patties. replace the lid. The cheese should melt in about 5 minutes.

When you serve, make sure to get part of each layer.

Enjoy!

Very much like one the son's patrol made. They won the Gold Spoon with it.

Comment

Comment

• ExtraChrispy
        ExtraChrispy commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. I didn't know it was printed up anywhere. I got this recipe from an old river guide I met years ago (circa 1986-ish???). I've been using it ever since.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        ExtraChrispy I got curious and googled "Forty Mile Stew". Several variations and a funny story or two came up. I thought some of the DO fans here might enjoy the Boy Scouts cookbooks. I haven't done a care ful comparison of them, but there may be considerable overlap.

Thus reminds me of a true story. A friend and his sons were elk hunting. At the end of a very long day hiking up and down the mountains in CO, they prepared a freeze dried dish and each of them thought the dish tasted fantastic, so good, in fact, they bought more when they returned home and cooked it up for dinner one night. Everyone thought it was nearly inedible.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Hunger is the best condiment.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here