Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Dutch Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dutch Oven

Why is it called a Dutch Oven? Who knew, not me.

The Dutch initially started producing their cast cooking vessels in the 17th century, creating a range of pots, pans and casserole dishes. Darby eventually in 1707 patented a casting procedure and named it the "Dutch oven", thus explaining where the Dutch name originated.

Cool to know, got any Historical linkage to that I could go divin down? On accounta I'm like that, there...

Comment

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      I got this from a Twitter feed. I've asked the poster for the source. Will see.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      RichieB Thanks, Amigo!

That is pretty cool, thanks for sharing. On a side note, I've been eating pork and beans for 2 days now so there might be another iteration of a "Dutch Oven" in the near future......

Comment

Known as a Potjie Pot these parts. Arrived here in the 17th century with the Dutch settlers and is still one of the most popular outdoor cooking methods.

Comment

Most things "Dutch" refer to being cheap, frugal or small. I assumed it was because of this that the name arose.
        Last edited by JCBBQ; January 18, 2022, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here