Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay steveo The Hunt Is On!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay steveo The Hunt Is On!

smarkley

Okay man the hunt is on for a Lodge L10DCO3 Deep Camp Dutch Oven, 5-Quart

Amazon has them at 75.00 prime but I'm shopping:

Store 1 Nothing but 12's

Store 2 same deal:

My questions is what do I do with it when I get it?
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; September 6, 2015, 09:30 AM.

one nice thing about a new Lodge is they come pre seasoned... so all you have to do is wipe it out and cook! When you are done, wipe it out with hot water then store it with a light coat of oil... never use soap on a dutch. It the thing gets crusty, you can pour some salt in it and scrub with that... it works pretty good. I use a stainless scrubby thing that everyone has for scrubbing pans.

We have a store here called Sportsmans Warehouse (we call it Sportsman's Whorehouse locally though LOL)... they have those 5 qt dutches for about 55 dollars, not sure you have that chain of stores there or not... that price at amazon seems high, by the way.

I really like the 10 inchers because I dont cook big meals any more, but a 12 inch dutch is the most popular size, and they will do a great job!

​I think DWCowles said he has 2, 12 inchers. I have a 12 inch deep dutch and it is a monster... I don't use it much really because it is so big... A 12 inch normal depth would do a good job I think. That is the size we used when I was guiding.
    Last edited by smarkley; September 6, 2015, 09:56 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      smarkley the 10 inch dutch oven is what I'm wanting next.

Let the games begin heheheheheh

Comment

smarkley I heard that Lodge was going to quit because they coundn't compete with China. Have you read or heard anything about this rumor or is that just what it is...a rumor?

Comment

DWCowles I did hear that Lodge is having a hard time competing with the Chinese... I started a thread about that last week it is here:

They are discontinuing some items but gonna keep going with the most popular stuff for now... that thread has a list of the items they are gonna discontinue

Comment

Jon Solberg try doing a peach or cherry cobbler to start with. They are very easy to make and you can get more acquinted with the dutch oven too. I made one of each last nite and everyone was crazy over them

Comment

• smarkley
            smarkley commented
            Editing a comment
            warm Cobbler with Ice Cream = the best desert EVER!

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            you got that right!

Anything you can cook in your stove's oven can be cooked in a Dutch Oven provided it will fit. With a knife and axe about anything can be made to fit! Dan

Comment

Here is my Lodge 10 inch dutch all cleaned up and ready for next time... notice the little oily sheen dont need much more than that... treat it just like a good cast iron skillet

Click image for larger version

Name:	cleandutch.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	107617

Comment

I got a big collection of cast iron. Even the wrong kind of french and dutch ovens. I'm looking forward to getting this camp taking it outside with some coals from the Pig Rig.

Comment

• smarkley
                smarkley commented
                Editing a comment
                you are gonna have fun Jon! I will help how ever I can!

try www.katom.com they show that one listed at $44

Comment

• smarkley
                smarkley commented
                Editing a comment
                great thanks... I heard katom was a good supplier

w0nq
              GREAT LINK! THX

They seem to be about the best deal online.

Thanks again!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here