Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold smoked honey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold smoked honey

A couple of weeks ago I put 8 oz. of honey in a glass dish, set it out on my gas grill with a smoke tube type thing using Lumberjack Pecan Blend pellets and let it go for an hour. I brought it in and let it sit for a while and then put it in a glass jar with a lid. I tasted it every other day and it got progressively better, like cold smoking cheese does. After 3 weeks it was really nice so I mixed it with some butter and put it on homemade biscuits. I have to say it was damn good.
    So, I decided to make some little holiday gift jars for some friends and neighbors. I did another batch of 60 oz. of honey in 2 glass dishes and let them sit in the smoke for 75 minutes. It's also getting mellower, but I think I could have let it sit in the smoke just a little longer. I also cracked the lid of my gas grill maybe half an inch to allow some of the smoke to escape other than through the vents in the back.
    I've been pleasantly surprised at how something so simple turned out so good. Give it a try sometime.

Cool, I have to try this! When you say cold smoke - what temps do you have in the smoker?
    Last edited by Henrik; November 16, 2020, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Flat Rocker
      Flat Rocker commented
      Editing a comment
      As BigCountryQ mentioned, I just used the grill and the smoke tube which generated minimal heat. After I did the first batch of cold smoked honey, I actually tried another batch on my pellet smoker after I did a pork butt. I dialed the temp down to 200 and let it go for 3 hours, then brought it in to cool. Even after a couple of weeks it had virtually no smoke taste and the honey was very thick and viscous. I think cold smoking is much easier and imparts more smoke taste, but YMMV.

nice

Comment

Henrik I assume he means he just used the grill as a holding tank to hold the pellet smoke tube and the dish of honey. So ambient temperature plus some very small rise in temp due to smoldering pellets. This is the same way I smoke cheese.

I just so happened to harvest my fall crop of honey from our beehives yesterday. I ended up with about 12 gallons (150lbs). Not too shabby for 2 hives on my 2nd year.

Comment

interesting, smoke honey.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here