Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Your Thanksgiving pie REALLY Pumpkin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Your Thanksgiving pie REALLY Pumpkin?

Answer to this question is short and simple if you use the traditional canned "Pumpkin" available in your grocery store.
    Interesting to find out what America considers Pumpkin (in a can) is actually up to 90percent squash.)(arguably pumpkin IS a form of squash.)
    We have come to associate this flavor as pumpkin in our holiday pies.
    My wife and I decided to do a traditional pie last year, and will be doing it again this year.
    She and I both remember Thanksgiving on the farm, where both our families raised pumpkins for the holidays. We remembered a completely Different taste and texture, and decided to experiment with the Instant Pot.
    Results were like we remembered. Kind of a more bland taste but bland in a very good way.
    We are whipped cream fans, and the combination of the real pumpkin pie and home made whipped cream was a VERY noticeable and nice difference. Pumpkin flavor was not so much. an in your face taste but VERY enjoyable the whipped cream had a chance to show itself off.
    I am NOT a pie maker but the wife agrees real pumpkin pie is on the menu again this year.

We ate a lot of pie from homegrown squash when I was growing up. I think the flavor of a pie made with homegrown is different than a pie from store bought -- homegrown is often brighter and milder.

I'm especially fond of "pumpkin" pie made with buttercup (yes, "cup") squash. Yum!

Comment

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure there are as many recipes for real mincemeat as there are people who make it. If you have a childhood memory of it, chances are you'll have to tweak the spices in the recipe to suit your memory's taste buds. I'll start a new thread for the mincemeat recipes I've dug up.

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      Iowagirl
      Thank you.
      For those who haven't tried Mince meat pie?
      Don't miss a chance at Thanksgiving.
      Last edited by Cheef; October 16, 2020, 02:44 PM.

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Here's a link to the mincemeat recipe thread -- https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-based-recipes

And now back to the original topic of this thread....

I know our pies don't taste like pumpkin 'cause neither of us like pumpkin...

Comment

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      You are a prime candidate for the REAL deal home made then. Kind of a sweet potato pie taste.

Pumpkin, and butternut squash (which is what’s in the can), is really pretty flavorless. It’s the spices that we associate with pumpkin "flavor".

When I was in the home brew business I would get this question on a near daily basis. People would go through a lot of trouble to put pumpkin in their brew, only to end up with beer that "didn’t taste like pumpkin," and was cloudy to boot.

The originator of pumpkin ale, Buffalo Bill Owens, only put a small piece of pumpkin in each huge batch and only so he could call it pumpkin ale and not pumpkin flavored ale. Of course Bill never actually brewed it himself for distribution. It was brewed by a commercial brewer in Minnesota.

Comment

Loves me some squash pie with h'whipped cream!

Comment

Our pies are made from pumpkins we roast ourselves. No canned stuff here. Wasn’t always that way though.🙄 We also like sweet potato pie. Henrik‘s recipe looks good.
        Last edited by Texas Larry; October 15, 2020, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          BIG +1 on sweet tater pie, Brother!!!!

I'll take a sweet potato pie over pumpkin any day.

Comment

Pumpkin and pecan are our Thanksgiving tradition. But the pumpkin (squash) does come from a can .

Comment

Squash takes less work to process.

Comment

I've only had canned or store brought pumpkin pie so I'm the wrong guy to ask.

Comment

A few years ago, I saw a recipe for Sweet Potato Pecan Pie. It was a winner. I've made it a few times for Thanksgiving.
                Last edited by Bkhuna; October 16, 2020, 03:06 AM.

Comment

• Cheef
                  Cheef commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agreed!

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pecans and sweet potatoes are a match made in heaven, in sweet or savory dishes.

Cheef

Like calling sweet potatoes yams,
                Like calling teppanyaki hibachi,
                Or calling anything scampi other than langoustine.

The beat goes on...
                Last edited by Bkhuna; October 16, 2020, 03:09 AM.

Comment

I go pecan pie!

You can keep the pumpkins and the rest of the gourds.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would tend to agree. However, I only get it once a year, so I go after it. Especially with some vanilla bean ice cream! Cheef

• Dadof3Illinois
                    Dadof3Illinois commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We have a recipe for a pecan/sweet potato pie. It’s a pecan pie on the bottom and sweet potato pie on top. Crazy good, the sweet potato pie kind of cuts all the sweetness of the pecan pie.

• Cheef
                    Cheef commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dadof3Illinois post it up.
                    Season is coming.

Back when I was 12 or 13 on a trip to Walmart with my dad he dug through a pile of 'decorative gourds' and pulled out a Cushaw. When the checker rang up the Cushaw she said "Ohh this will be pretty to look at for the holidays." and my dad responded with "Look at it? Hell I'm going to eat it!" The look on her face will probably be with me to my grave.

Comment

I grow an heirloom, Winter Luxury, just for making pies.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here