Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilled Creme Brulee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilled Creme Brulee

Hey everyone! I finally got around to trying something I've wanted to do for a long time...creme brulee on the grill!

I made a basic creme brulee, added some bourbon, and cooked it in my Weber Summit Charcoal Grill for about an hour at 300 degrees on indirect heat. I threw a couple hickory chunks in there as well to get a little smoke profile.

The results were great, although I'd do something differently next time. I'll find a way to add more bourbon to it, and maybe I'll try a different wood for the smoke. (The smoke flavor was only at the top anyway, so not all of it was smoky.)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by maltnpepper; May 8, 2020, 07:24 AM.

How long g did you chill it after. I do d most dairy (cheese, gravy, creme sauces) need significant time for the smoke to penetrate.

Comment

• maltnpepper
      maltnpepper commented
      Editing a comment
      We had no willpower. 😂They chilled for about 4 hours. One of them made it 24 hours, but I don't think I necessarily noticed any more smoke flavor. Honestly, that wasn't the goal for me this time around...I just wanted to successfully make it on the grill. Now that I know I can do it well, I'll start playing around with other variables.

from my "smoke everything" experiments, not from my knowledge of creme brulee, I would try to spread the mixture on a flat pan and "cold" smoke (whatever the safe temp would be for dairy) for an hour or so, then scoop into ramekins for the higher temp cook process. Then (assuming it doesn't mess up the set period) I'd seal the top of the ramekin during the chill/set period to lock that smoke in.

That's pretty much how I do liquids like olive juice (that I store the few smoked olives I didn't eat in) or canning liquid for hummus

increase surface area for smoke adhesion/penetration

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Similar with olive oil.

That creme brulee looks Grand!

Comment

I need to make me another batch. I have a nice little torch to brulee.

Comment

This...is....money!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here