Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pecan pie (proper pronunciation)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pecan pie (proper pronunciation)

The debate went on last night, what say you wonderful people of Amazing ribs?

I won’t go into proper way to serve it, I prefer slightly runny filling. But never turned down ANY pecan pie.

The poll is expired.

pecan
    noun
    pe·can
    pi-ˈkän, -ˈkan , ˈpē-ˌkan

Comment

Somewhere amongst the bourbon and chocolate are Pu-kahns ........

Click image for larger version

Name:	4BEF7493-08C9-4F5A-AFB9-3CD5572C3353.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	774121

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        I make one with a chilled bacon grease crust and candied pecans too. That one looks marvelous.

It literally depends where I am. If I’m with family in the North, it’s "Pee-can." If I’m in the South, I’ll say it "Puh-kahn."

Comment

My mother always said a pee-can is something you use when there is no bathroom available.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          At some truck stops and roadsides they have a picture of a 1 gallon water jug with "This is not a urinal"

It doesn't matter to me. It is just damn fine eating where ever I am.

Comment

Hahahahaha. I grew up in the Central Valley where they grew All-monds. I moved to The Northern Valley where the grow aa-monds. To pronounce it the other way in either place is a sin. Therefore, I can’t vote or it might be held against me regionally.
          Last edited by tbob4; November 28, 2019, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• Wedunne
            Wedunne commented
            Editing a comment
            My grandfather was from Selma, in Fresno County, and he pronounced it aa-monds. Everyone else I know says all-monds, though, so may he was an outlier.

My Texas sister in law is always quick to correct us Canucks when we sub the pee for the puh and the can for the kahn.
          Hey....born in a barn....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here