Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Highly Scientific S’mores Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highly Scientific S’mores Test

I’ve told my daughter since her birthday we’d do s’mores on the grill some time. My wife worked today so we made burgers on the grill, then while the grill was still hot we made s’mores!

Carefully toasting her marshmallow first... Yes, I had a snafu emptying the ash pan. And yes, I’ve taught her to wear something more than flip flops by the grill. We’re living dangerously today! 😜

Click image for larger version

Name:	07C65109-E598-48A5-8DA5-B3E986B344FE.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	752750

Putting it all together and enjoying the fruits of her labor.

Name:	1DF37601-A4AA-4FB0-8AEF-E0AD0651D106.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	752749

If it’s not a mess you’re not doing it right!

Name:	ECBEEC18-CA04-4A28-BDFF-A4BA13864AFC.jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	752751

Now I experimented with mine... For my first one I put it all together and then wrapped it in foil, then left it on the covered grill for a few minutes. Turned out like this, the chocolate was totally melted which was killer but the marshmallow was just not as melty as I expected.

Name:	0C817AD1-6746-4AAF-B885-42785F5E8C7E.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	752748

Next one I did the traditional way toasting the marshmallow first.

Name:	664BF457-D745-4DA5-9B1E-08071CFA7E42.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	752752

I definitely liked it better the traditional way. The toasted marshmallow actually has a better flavor than one not toasted. And it’s melted enough that when you bite down it smushes and the graham cracker doesn’t crumble nearly as badly. Only downside is the chocolate doesn’t really melt at all, even after I let the hot toasted marshmallow sit on it for a minute. But the gooey marshmallow stays in place much better than melted chocolate which drips off, causing lots of additional scraping and finger licking.

Now I get to wait for my wife to come home after a 12 hour shift and tell her I made us cheeseburgers and s’mores... wish me luck!

Try it with Reese’s peanut butter cups instead of the chocolate bar.

Comment

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Backroadmeats Baileys and kahlua 😋😁

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      The bar has been set!

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      I love smores with Reese Cups. And to take it to yet another level use a Cadbury Creme Egg.

Great fun with the kiddo! I do the same with mine.

Comment

That looks like a load of fun.

Comment

I like the properly melted chocolate in your first experiment. With the marshmallow not quite as melted a you like could a judicious (careful) brush with a propane torch take care of that? If it works I'd think it would be just about perfect. IMHO that is. Good job! It looks like you had a lot of fun with your daughter and that is the important thing however it turned out.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
          FishTalesNC commented
          Editing a comment
          Thats a great point, I'm sure that would work. I actually pondered toasting the marshmallow before wrapping the whole thing in foil and putting it on the grill. I think you'd get the best of both worlds, but at that point I was too full to try a third one! 😂

IMHO, there is no better desert to be had!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Myth busting good science! Gimme mo!

Comment

• FishTalesNC
            FishTalesNC commented
            Editing a comment
            I clearly need further tests with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Cadbury Eggs!!! Relying on my kiddo to get good "loot" this Halloween to support our experiments, ha!

Ha! One of the main reasons I got a Jumbo Joe was to make s’mores when staying at a cabin with the kids. I have the SNS charcoal basket and go all two-zone on it.

I smoke the crackers and the chocolate for a bit and then we toast the marshmallows over the coals. The main thing, and you’ve pointed this out but I want to emphasize it, is that you need a drip accessory. Melted chocolate or marshmallow getting into our below the charcoal greater is really annoying to clean up.

And yes, you must toast. The flavor profile just isn’t the same without it. (Too bad too because microwaved s’mores are so convenient.)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here