Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for traditional BBQ accompaniment deserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for traditional BBQ accompaniment deserts

Hey Pitmasters,
    I’m in the Pacific Northwest... not so familiar with Texas, East Carolina, Memphis or KC BBQ. I’ve sampled some meats and sides on-site, save for KC but haven’t sampled desserts.
    I have and will make another brisket with skillet corn bread, Bourbon baked beans and potato salad. Now I need a suggestion for desserts.
    I’m assuming peach cobbler and pecan pie may be amongst them. If you’ve any other suggestions, I am willing to be educated.
    Much obliged!
    Greg

Cowboy Kent Rollins on youtube has a great recipe for grilled peaches with a Jack Daniels whiskey, honey, and cinnamon sauce.

There was a BBQ place in Hondo, Texas that had a jalapeno apple pie on their menu, not sure if they are still open but that is one of many items on my to-make list.
    Last edited by 58limited; August 3, 2019, 05:15 PM.

Comment

You can go to StevenRaichlen.com and he has a section on desserts. I love smoked peaches and ice cream. One from the Weber old cook book was grilled grapefruit and a shot of Galliano over the top served hot. There are a million things you can do.

Comment

Banana Pudding is our favorite.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        @ JoeSousa, Plus you can make it the day before so you don't have to worry about it the day of the cookout.

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        One of the ones I would have mentioned if you hadn't first...

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be pretty typical at a Texas BBQ joint. I usually don’t have room for dessert after BBQ.

Have not tried it but it sure sounds good.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...d-cream-recipe

Comment

How about pineapple upside down cake! And Alton brown has a cornmeal version that is delish!

Comment

I heard gooey butter cake was right up there.

Comment

I don't know if it's traditional but I think a nice bread pudding accompanies bbq well.

Comment

Jalapeño snow cones

Comment

In Tom Perini's book Texas Cowboy Cooking he gives great recipes for bread pudding with whiskey sauce and jalapeño cheese cake. It's a good book worth checking out from cover to cover, the forward was written by Robert Duvall.

Comment

S'mores.

Comment

Not traditional but I like rice pudding cooked with raisins as a after BBQ desert. A little whipping cream on top adds a nice touch.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'll have jus a touch of cinnamon on mine, as well, please, Sir...

• hogdog6
                      hogdog6 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You are correct Mr. Bones always add a little cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg!

If you're guests are eating dessert it means you didn't cook enough meat. ;-)

Comment

My wife makes a not from a box no bake cheesecake. It’s a lighter dessert imo. After eating a lot of meat, it is refreshing. That’s the only thing I offer when customers ask about dessert options. I’ve not sold many, people think box when they think no bake, but lemme tell ya. She works her butt off for my side gig.

Comment

Gotta vote for peach cobbler.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here