Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cherry Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cherry Pi

For pi Day, I baked Cherry Pi yesterday. Currently learning to use the video editing but this was recorded. I hope to be able to post the video in the next few days. have to figure out voice overs because ambient sound is terrible. but, here is a picture of the finished Pi. Hope you guys like it!!

Remember, Cooking is a Sacred Endeavour!

Looking good, the girls and I will be doing a French Silk and an Apple starting in about 30 minutes.

Comment

Am I the only one who didn't know what pi day was? Lol

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        I use pi at work daily, but did not know there was a pi day!

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        The Argyle Sweater comic had a cartoon about the other numbers to Pi besides 3.14, who were getting some counseling for being left out so much, and not taking it too well.

This is a big one, more days of pi! 3/14/15 at 9:26 and 53 seconds we cover 10 digits. A close friend of mine introduced me to it years ago and has since passed away, so I do something every year.

Comment

So, my Cherry Pi did not set the filling as thickly as I wanted it. So, it came out Juicy but still yummy. Myself, I like LOTS of fruit. most of the time, I'll make cobbler rather than pie because it is nearly all fruit. HWMO said his only complaint was that there was too much fruit and he wanted more crust. Oh, well, we can meet in the middle. But, it turns out, a problem becomes an advantage. a bug becomes a feature! being addicted to White Chocolate Cherry bread, of course, there is usually a batch of them around the house. When I had my first slice and sat pondering my dish with Cherry juice sitting there, I had a choice. lick the plate 9which, I have to tell you was QUITE the idea but better than wasting the yumminess!) or, finding a way to eat it. so, I did what any red blooded Cherry lover would do. I sliced a White Chocolate Cherry bun, and absorbed the juice with the bread. after that, it just seemed perfect. so, I sliced the rest of the bun and spooned more juice over the slices. Waste not, want not!!

Comment

and I STILL have the tiny picture bug!!

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            If you're on a computer, upload pics using the attachment method. When you use the camera icon (only way to do it via mobile) it puts a small pic in your post that needs clicked on to enlarge. Attachment method places it inline as big as you want it.

My favorite math geek day is yet to come. My favorite, each year, is not Pi but Phi. The number of God, as some call it, the Golden Ration, the Perfect Number, the Fibonacci Sequence. repeated throughout the universe, as small as a strand of DNA, as large as galaxies in the sky. the Eternal, perfect spiral, the measure of Beauty. Phi is the ratio of 1:1.618, and that day is June 18th.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherry Pi collage.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	71146

Better?

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              YES you got it! Now I want to visit your house. Maybe you should go back to small pics, lol.

• Karon Adams
              Karon Adams commented
              Editing a comment
              Come on! I'll feed ya! but you might have to fight me for Cherries! I have a Cherry Bush in my front yard. It's partner died so while it has been flowering, we have no fruit. hopefully, the replacement partner will bloom this year and we'll have some cherries. I plant anywhere in my yard that has sunlight. if you have never tried Straw Bale Gardening and are interested in gardening, try this method. unbelievable how well it works. The first year we tried this method, we grey 37 pumpkins from two plants. We put out straw bales every year, now. Squashes, pumpkins, cukes, peppers, watermelons, strawberries, mulberries, pears, apples, pecans and, of course, tomatoes.

Last year, we planted 9 Kiwi vines. when they mature and start producing, we'll be SWIMMING in kiwi. We grew them in Atlanta. they bloomed for the first time in year three. we gathered about 15 pounds of Kiwi and counted ourselves lucky. The following year, we picked 100 POUNDS of kiwi! I contacted a commercial grower and was talking to him. He said, "Well, I don't know WHAT happened. You should have gotten 100 pounds from just one plant." Oh, MY!

I don't plant anything that won't produce something. All of this on a suburban lot that is 75' x 150'. And I am going back to beekeeping. I had hives in Atlanta but when we moved up here, I had so much going on. kidlets in school, I was working as a realtor as well as running the soap company. The bees somehow were never installed up here. Just a couple of years ago, I put in another couple of hives. they did really well the first two years. but, last year, I lost them. I became pretty ill in mid summer. the bees became honeybound and ended up absconding.

So, at the end of April, I'll be installing 4 new hives. I'll record that on video, as well and post it for you. If you have ever thought about something really fun, something you can do with our kidlets that will help them learn about nature as well as responsibility, try beekeeping. you can do it anywhere. there are more beehives in a NYC block than in many outlying suburbs. they thrive on rooftops in cities.

And, here is the pie, uncut

Name:	Cherry Pie Finish.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	71148

Comment

Happy Pi Day to all. I baked a blueberry pie (DH's fav) to celebrate.

For St. Patty's day, just around the corner, I put some fresh corned beef in to soak since Meathead's recipe says the rub needs to stay on 2 days and I've got to get the water soak out of the way first.

I think I have my holidays covered for the week.

Kathryn

Comment

We haven't gotten around to corning our own, yet. But we are busy making bacon! Did you see the Waffle Iron Reuben technique I posted last week, I think? Sometimes I just want to cook a corned beef in order to eat Reubens!! I'm looking forward to summer mixing, making Ice Cream and Semi-Fredo and Sorbet.

Comment

Got ours finished, this is the first, Apple, partially obstructed by a 2 year old and assisted by a 5 year old. I told her some people design leaves or something in the extra dough, she made a happy apple.
                  Upside down but you get the gist.

Name:	pi2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	71290 Click image for larger version

Name:	pi1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	71289
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Karon Adams
                    Karon Adams commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm LOVING the Happy Apple!!! SO great! Tell her I want a Happy Apple, too and would she make one for me? she can just make it and have you send me the picture!! Happy Apples taste the BEST!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here