Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The hirshon key lime pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hirshon key lime pie

or or for those who prefer not to click through:

Citizens, Key lime pie is an American dessert straight from the Florida Keys made of Key lime juice, egg yolks, and sweetened condensed milk in a pie crust.

The dish is named after the small Key limes (Citrus aurantifolia ‘Swingle’) that are naturalized throughout the Florida Keys. While their thorns make them less tractable, and their thin, yellow rinds more perishable, Key limes are tarter and more aromatic than the common Persian limes seen year-round in U.S. grocery stores.

Key lime juice, unlike regular lime juice, is a pale yellow. The filling in Key lime pie is also yellow, largely because of the egg yolks.

During mixing, a reaction between the condensed milk and the acidic lime juice occurs that causes the filling to thicken on its own without requiring baking.

Many early recipes for Key lime pie did not require the cook to bake the pie, relying on this chemical reaction (called thickening) to produce the proper consistency of the filling.

Today, because consuming raw eggs can be dangerous, pies of this nature are usually baked for a short time. The baking also thickens the texture more than the reaction alone.

The Key lime pie has been traced back to the early 20th century in the Key West, Florida area and was invented by botanist Jack Simons.

Its exact origins are unknown, but the first formal mention of Key lime pie as a recipe may have been made by William Curry, a ship salvager and Key West’s first millionaire; his cook, "Aunt Sally", made the pie for him.

If such is the case, however, it is also possible and maybe even probable that Sally adapted the recipe already created by local sponge fishermen.

Sponge fishermen spent many days on their boats, and stored their food on board, including nutritional basics such as canned milk (which would not spoil without refrigeration), limes and eggs.

Sponge fishermen at sea would presumably not have access to an oven, and, similarly, the original recipe for Key lime pie did not call for cooking the mixture of lime, milk, and eggs.

Key lime pie is made with canned sweetened condensed milk. Fresh milk was not a common commodity in the Florida Keys before modern refrigerated distribution methods.

You will note my recipe is not colored toxic green by food coloring – such a travesty has no place on this earth, Citizens! I’ve added a bit of vanilla and a whisper of optional cardamom to the whipped cream topping, but this is otherwise a most authentic recipe.

Battle on – The Generalissimo

Crust:

¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
    ½ cup corn flakes, crushed
    2 tbsp. sugar
    5 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted

Filling:

1 can sweetened condensed milk
    4 egg yolks
    ½ cup fresh Key lime juice
    ½ tbsp. Key lime zest

Topping:

1 cup heavy cream
    2 tbsp. confectioners sugar
    ½ tsp. Vanilla extract
    Freshly ground cardamom to taste (optional)

Crust:

Combine ingredients thoroughly and press into a 9-inch pie plate. Bake pie crust at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat and let cool.

Filling:

In a large bowl, combine condensed milk and egg yolks, mixing well. Slowly add Key lime juice and zest, mixing until fully incorporated.

Pour into crust and place in oven at 325 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool, then refrigerate until serving; always serve cold.

Topping:

Whip cream with sugar, vanilla and optional cardamom until nearly stiff. Serve each wedge of pie with a dollop of whipped cream.

What do the corn flakes do for the crust?

Comment

• Jhirshon
      Jhirshon commented
      Editing a comment
      They add a great texture!

• lemayp
      lemayp commented
      Editing a comment
      Seems strange to me, but now I have to try it, thanks. This is my favorite pie.

Love key lime pie...

Comment

One of my favorites!

Comment

We were just in the keys and while we ate a lot of great seafood, we did not eat any key lime pie. Smacking myself...

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          I am , without words...

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Go ahead. Smack yourself again! My favorite pie!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here