Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fig Preserves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fig Preserves

Simple recipe: 12 cups figs de-stemmed, 6 cups granulated sugar, 3 cups water. *Take note of the ratios. 1 lemon per pint jar.

Sterilizing equipment.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180910_225600.jpg Views:	1 Size:	142.3 KB ID:	564624

Sugarfied!!!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180910_231553.jpg Views:	1 Size:	106.3 KB ID:	564625

Start, 1 hour, 2 hour, 3 hour. Ran a little above low stirring every 5-10 minutes, gently scraping bottom.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180910_232006.jpg Views:	1 Size:	186.7 KB ID:	564626Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180911_002128.jpg Views:	1 Size:	203.8 KB ID:	564627Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180911_011647.jpg Views:	1 Size:	169.7 KB ID:	564628Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180911_023023.jpg Views:	1 Size:	181.4 KB ID:	564629

Action pic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180911_024407.jpg Views:	1 Size:	133.3 KB ID:	564630

Final boil. Jars, seals and lids are first boiled and filled hot. New pot, like 15 minutes new. Tallest wasn't tall enough to submerge jars, just barely.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180911_025101.jpg Views:	1 Size:	112.0 KB ID:	564631Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180911_025208.jpg Views:	1 Size:	115.4 KB ID:	564632
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; September 11, 2018, 09:27 AM.

Nice one Jerod! Fig preserve is real good. But then again I’ve been known to have a sweet tooth.

Comment

Is the lemon just for flavor?

Comment

I'm glad you figured it out.

Comment

One of my favourites fig jam. save the syrup to brush on ribs

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotta a jar just about all juice.

Here is a sauce I use on ribs that I think turns out real good.
        Balsamic Fig Chipotle Sauce
        1/4 cup fig jam
        1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
        1/8 cup red wine
        2 chipotle peppers from can

3 tspn juice from chipotle can
        1/2 tspn dried Rosemary
        1 tspn black pepper
        Combined and simmer for a while

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Sweet, except for the Rose, I'm a Thyme guy.

Turned out awesome. Great late night snack. Hint of lemon is just right. I figure I'll probably add 1/2 cup of this to my Creme (pronounced CRAM to the northern folk, eh) Brulee, which 2/3 of that will be fig and 1/3 will be sugar, and adjust the recipe as necessary.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          To yonder southerners...
          No one up here cares about how you butcher French. ;-)

Looks great, Jerod ... enjoy!

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Couple of suggestions.

Had a big birthday celebration on Sunday. Chef took sweet potato slices (1/8 to 1/4 thick) cooked until just tender. Build a "sandwich" with cooked slices, fig jam, finish with a dollop of marshmallow cream on top. Bake to toast the marshmallow.

Fig Newton or Tarts

Press sugar cookie dough into a mini tart pan or roll it out into a sheet. Fill the cups with a mixture of fig preserves, orange marmalade and chopped dry figs (to make it thicker). Fill the cups or the center of the sheet of cookie dough. Fold the sheet around the filling. Bake until toasty.

Caveat -- I make my fig preserves with Grand Marnier and orange instead of the lemon.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              My parents made fig tarts. I canNOT stand store bought Fig Newtons.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here