Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade Ice Cream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Ice Cream

Anybody out there making their own ice cream. I make my own Vanilla Bean, Peppermint, and Butter Pecan ice creams and will be making some this week. I will take pics and posts the results. I really like Ben and Jerry's ice cream book and use their techniques as my foundation.

Looking forward to this. If only I could make something as good as Prairie Farms' Moosetracks. Best I have ever had. I cannot buy it, I'm like a wagoned alcoholic when it comes to good ice cream.

Comment

I do, but being lactose intolerant I need to use something other than milk or cream. I start with a non-dairy soft serve mix and add coconut milk and flavoring. Churn in Kitchenaid stand mixer with the ice cram bowl attachment.

Comment

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd like to edit cram to cream, but editing a post doesn't work on an iPad.

• Marauderer
        Marauderer commented
        Editing a comment
        I notice that Mark,but I use voice over text a lot on both the iPad and my note 3 and I get a lot of typos that are just too hard to go back and change and a lot of my friends do the same thing so we are used to reading through misspelled words and miss written phrases that come up with voice over text. It really makes me sound illiterate a lot of times and maybe I am who knows

Oh heck yeah! We have been using the ice cream attachment for the 'ol Kitchen Aid for over a year. It will hold 2 quarts, which is plenty for my wife and myself. We make what we crave; chocolate(sometimes with caramel), peach, strawberry, sorbets, etc. We use most of the ice cream methods, both cooked and uncooked.All are good. When we are flush with berries from our garden, it takes us weeks to eat it all. Of course, if word gets out, then we seem to get a lot of "guests."

Comment

This is my Ice Cream Bible. I have had it a while but it is still available on Amazon.

Comment

I haven't made any for years. We used to make ice cream when I was a kid. We always got stuck cranking the ice cream maker. Got much easier when I was a teenager and I attached a strap to the handle, then I could sit in a chair and pedal it like a bicycle.

-Alden

Comment

There is basically two ways to make Ice Cream, cooked and uncooked. I have taken the uncooked route. After I get the ingredients today i will make some Vanilla Bean flavored and will document. I am only making a quart at a time as it, the ice cream, is so addictive. Then it will be on to Peppermint and a Moosetracks just for Huskee!!

Huskee

Comment

I want to see you make moose tracks!

Comment

Here is a Moose Tracks recipe I found and I will modify it for my style of Ice Cream.

Ingredients
                • For the fudge sauce
                • 3/4 cup half and half
                • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
                • 2 tablespoons butter
                • 1 1/3 cup semisweet (or bittersweet) chocolate chips
                • Kosher salt
                • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
                • For the ice cream
                • 2 cups heavy cream
                • 1 cup milk
                • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
                • Kosher salt
                • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
                • To finish
                • 1 cup miniature peanut butter cups
                Another

Copycat Moosetracks Ice Cream:
                Ingredients:
                1 cup whole milk
                1 cup vanilla sugar
                Pinch of vanilla salt
                2 cups heavy cream
                1 tablespoon vanilla extract
                15 mini Reese’s cups, cut into 4 pieces each
                1/2 jar of hot fudge sauce, slightly warm but NOT hot

So which recipe do you like better Huskee?

Comment

• HC in SC
                  HC in SC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Regarding the vanilla extract: we got some some Blue Cattle Truck Mexican vanilla - it was kinda pricey but well, well worth it.

We did a 'smell test' against the McCormick vanilla we had been using forever and wow what a difference!

The McCormick smelled like cheap vanilla flavored vodka - the Blue Cattle Truck smelled wonderful!

The wife bakes alot and she began substituting the Blue Cattle Truck in all of her cakes and cookies and it made such a difference we gave the cheap-o stuff away to neighbors.

I am assuming a gourmet such as yourself is using high quality vanilla; but in case you are not - you may want to get some and try it out.

"Better ingredients, better pizza" you know.

• Marauderer
                  Marauderer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HC I would like to be a "Grommet or Gourmet as some say" We make our own vanilla extract using Vodka and the Vanilla Beans and yes we never buy the vanilla extract from the grocery anymore. In fact we are giving our homemade vanilla extract as Christmas presents to some of our friends. I am sure your BCTM vanilla extract is excellent.

• HC in SC
                  HC in SC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great idea for Xmas gifts! Premium vanilla is quite pricy.

We have looked for fresh vanilla beans like you show from Madagascar and Mexico for other recipes and have not been able to find them.

I think Whole Foods said they could order them, but for some reason they are scarce around here.

We ended up ordering on line I believe.

So I thought this morning would be good to make a couple of quarts of Ice Cream.

All of my recipes revolve around this basic recipe:

2 Lg Eggs
                1 Cp Milk
                2 Cp Heavy Cream
                3/4 Cp Sugar

If you want a softer ice cream increase the heavy cream and decrease the milk. If yoiu want a more hard ice cream increase the milk and decrease the heavy cream. Total of heavy cream and milk is always 3 Cp. Sometimes I decrease the sugar to make it less sweet.

My Ice cream maker is a Whynter IC-2L SNO 2-Quart Ice Cream Maker and it is available from Amazon.

I shopped around and found it at Home Depot on sale for $160. Great price for an ice cream maker with its own refrigeration unit built in. Yes, I am a lazy Git!!

So the first ice cream I made this morning was;

Vanilla Bean Recipe:
                2 Lg Eggs
                1/2 Cp Sugar
                2 Vanilla Beans
                1 Cp Milk
                2 Cp Heavy Cream

If you got to the grocery sore you will pay $8-12 for one vanilla bean and, they are usually dried out and not very good. You need fresh vanilla beans that are oily to the touch and well hydrated and bend easily. I buy my vanilla beans from "Beanilla Trading Company" on line and pay about $1/bean. They are excellent.

So, after you have assembled your ingredients, keep them cold in the fridge, I start by scraping the beans out of the pods of the vanilla beans. Oh, if you have a refrigerated ice cream maker start the refrigeration unit now.

Take the bean pods

and slice them in half length wise

Then take your knife and scrape the beans off the inside of the pod.

Two bean pods gives a nice yield and flavors a quart very well in our family.

I will continue in the next post.

Comment

Set the beans aside for now and lets proceed with the recipe. I chill my bowl first and taking it out of the fridge/freezer I break my two eggs in the bowl and whisk for about 90 sec. to make them nice a fluffy.

Continue to fluff and slowly add the sugar and continue whisking until the mixture is nice an fluffy. I am really stuck on my Cuisinart Smart Stick Hand Blender with the whisk attachment. It makes a lot of kitchen functions really easy.

After the sugar is whisked in then add the vanilla beans and whisk until completely dissolved into the little idybity bean specs. Then as you continue to whisk add the heavy cream and then the milk. When thoroughly mixed pore into the ice cream maker bowl, instyall into the ice cream machine and start to mix. In my machine it takes about 35 min to get it to stall.

When your ice cream maker stalls or you can't turn the handle anymore stop, remove the ice cream and place in the freezer to finish hardening. Wait 24 hrs if you can for the full flavor to develop.

I also made Peppermint Ice Cream and will post that variation next.

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Is that a chicken in your ice cream? :-) LOL

Peppermint Ice Cream Recipe;

Ingredients:

2 Lg Eggs
                  1/2 Cp Sugar
                  12 Mini Candy Canes
                  1 Cp Milk
                  1/4 tsp Peppermint Extract (15 drops)
                  3 drops Red Food Coloring

Preparation is similar to the Vanilla Bean ice cream with the following variations.

Take the 12 candy canes

and place them in a blender with the coffee bean grinding attachment and grind them til powder. I then add the 1 Cp of milk and continue to mix until all the candy is dissolved. Whisk the eggs and sugar until fluffy and the sugar is completely dissolved. Add the milk and peppermint candies mixture and continue to whisk. Add the 1/4 tsp of peppermint extract, next the 2 Cp of heavy cream, and finally the 3 drops of red food dye.

This recipe take 45-50 min in the ice cream maker before it stalls out. Remove, pack into storage container andplace in freezer to finish hardening.

Oh, Give the beater bar and a spoon to someone as a sample as you just can't get all of it off and they will really enjoy it.

Now, wasn't that easy!!

Comment

Awesome post Barry. I like a good ice cream and these look spectacular!!

Comment

Looks great!!

Comment

I am going to post a "Butter Pecan" and a "Moosetracks" (for Huskee) recipes as soon as I get them perfected. I really like these recipes as they are simple and don't require the ingredients to be heated and then cooled before you put them in the ICM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here