Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coffee/Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coffee/Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream

Java Chip Ice Cream
    One of the great joys of my life was an ice cream called Java Chip that was made by Starbucks. I’m not a fan of their coffees, but that ice cream was heaven and, alas, they quit making it. The recipe below comes pretty close to the original. If you like coffee and dark chocolate, I’m betting you will enjoy this. It makes about 1 quart of ice cream.

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
    1 3/8 cups milk
    3 egg yolks
    2 whole eggs
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup of cold espresso
    2 T coffee liqueur such as Kahlua
    1 T vanilla extract
    3 or 4 oz chocolate chunks—coarsely chopped from a bar of dark chocolate to about the size of a chocolate chip

Combine eggs, yolks and sugar in a bowl and blend thoroughly with a whisk or electric beater for about 5 minutes. Heat milk and cream in a medium saucepan; don’t let it boil but heat to near boiling. While beating or whisking the egg mixture, slowly pour in 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture to temper it. Next, pour the egg mixture into the saucepan with the rest of the milk mixture while beating. Heat on medium low, stirring constantly, for a few more minutes or until the consistency is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.

Pour mixture into a bowl and chill until completely cool—I use an ice bath. Once cooled, add the coffee liqueur and vanilla. Pour mixture into ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s directions for how long it should churn. Add the 1/2 cup of coffee (chilled thoroughly beforehand) about halfway through churning. Add the chocolate chunks during the last few minutes of churning.

Notes:
    1. In place of espresso (1/2 cup will set you back a pretty penny at a coffee place), I put a good half cup of ground espresso beans in a coffee press, then added about a cup of just boiled water and let it sit for a few minutes before decanting. Baby, that was strong coffee!
    2. Even if you are a teetotaler, I recommend using the liqueur. Sometime ago, I read that a couple tablespoons of alcoholic liquor (term courtesy of the Department of Redundancy Department) helps keep ice cream smooth and my experience is that it works. If you’re REALLY opposed to liquor, maybe try two tablespoons of vanilla, which has more alcohol than most any spirit anyway.
    Last edited by Willy; January 26, 2017, 05:43 PM.

Willy, Thanks for the Recipe! It's Been Years since We have Made Homemade Icecream! Your Recipe Looks, Sounds,
    Sme----?, Great! It is in My Evernote Recipe Files Now! THANK YOU!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Thanks Willy. We have an ice cream maker that was an anniversary gift several yrs back, but like lots of that stuff it's hiding..somewhere. I love the sound of this! I like 2 of Starbucks coffees, and I'm quite sure I'd like this ice cream.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        DO try it!!! BTW, didja get to take my "counting" test?

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here