Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salted Caramel Apple Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salted Caramel Apple Pie

Yes, I LOVE playing with flavors!! a couple of years ago, I decided to make marshmallows as Christmas gifts. I made 30 batches in 20 different flavors. Salted Caramel Apple pie was a favorite. all of my recipes are based on the same marshmallow recipe. with small changes for flavors. this one started by making a simple sugar caramel and, well, adding salt. the caramel would in the final recipe, take the place of the sugar. then, using the caramel in place of the sugar, you use frozen apple juice concentrate instead of water and make the syrup for the marshmallows, then, add a half teaspoon of cinnamon (I mix a little of it with some water to make a paste so it blends in well). then, whip the marshmallows as usual. for those who don't know the basic marshmallow recipe:

Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper

cut extra piece of paper to cover pan

blend 1 cup powdered sugar & 1 cup cornstarch.
    Spray the parchment lining and extra sheet with spray oil and dust with the sugar powder mix.
    set both aside

in stand mixer:
    3 packets unflavored gelatin
    1/2 cup water

in saucepan:
    1/2 cup water
    1 cup corn syrup
    1 1/2 cup granulated sugar (put the water in first, then pour sugar into the center of the water, this reduces the crystals that could stick to the sides)
    1/4 tsp kosher salt

attach candy thermometer, cook syrup until it reaches 240. about 5-10 minutes.

start mixer on low, slowly pour syrup down the SIDE of the bowl until all the syrup is in the bowl. increase spead a few teps at a time, whip until the foam is white, fluffy and beginning to stiffen.

Pour into lined pan. spread fluff in the pan, place the cover sheet of parchment, powder side down, onto the top of the marshmallow. allow to age overnight.

cut into piece and toss with powder mixture. store in airtight containers and enjoy!

Same sugar replacement method lets you make Maple Bacon using Maple syrup and tossing in candied bacon at the end.

I might have to remember this for Christmas. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Sweetness!! When I start making French Macarons one of my first will be Salted Caramel Macarons.

Comment

I'm going to have to do that before long. or a Pavlova. I am making ice Cream and building up egg whites in the freezer. I keep the little 4oz plastic cups & lids for stuff like this. so I just put the whites in those and pop them all in the freezer, use them as needed.

Comment

Marshmallows are fairly easy and if you play with some flavors, just simple replacements, can give you some great ones and they make marvelous gifts. because you can make them so quickly and a batch at 9x13 will cut to 54 1 1/2" marshmallows or so. I cut them 6x9. use a long, straight, sharp knife that will span the entire mass and just cut straight down (after depanning and unwrapping but, usually on the paper.) one of the best things is, if you line the pan and cover the top surface with parchment paper, you can put together about 6 batches over a day or two and that gives you a nice selection to put in a gift box. use a tin (found them at the Dollar Tree) lined with parchment paper and they are still fresh and yummy, according to my friend, for almost a month. after that, like storebought, they dry out and are more chewy but still delish!

I used a lot of juice in replacement of the water, lots of fresh fruit cooked down into syrup. all of that gives you some nice variety.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here