Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Important Ice Cream Alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Important Ice Cream Alert

Be warned..

We are starting to see 1.44 qt ice cream containers, that look the same as the current 1.5 qt package

Don't be fooled by the package, get your fair ice cream amount
    Last edited by WillTravelForFood; November 21, 2022, 06:35 PM.

This made me go check my two Ben & Jerry's pints and they're still pints. Whew!

Comment

• CHNeal
      CHNeal commented
      Editing a comment
      Chunky Monkey?

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      I do like Chunky Monkey but my fave is Americone Dream.

New diet plan for when I eat the entire thing, I should be thanking them.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Just remember you are doing the job of making space in yer freezer.

I've noticed the same thing with the smoked salmon we purchase at the grocery store. The same size package now has fewer pieces, less weight, same cost. I guess they are trying to keep prices look the same, package the same but less product.

Comment

Blue Bell, still a half gallon!

Comment

Slight rant alert: This, to me, is deceptive packaging and borderline fraud. Anyone made a graham cracker crust lately using a recipe that calls for one sleeve of crackers from a one lb. box? Get out your scale! Just raise the damn prices and let people decide whether your products are still worth the new unit price. At least in most stores they publish the unit prices for easy comparison. I know, I know, caveat emptor. This is my opinion and end of rant.

Comment

It's even got a name . Shrinkflation.

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            You said it, they've been shrinking packaging for years up here but charged the same price.
            Now size is shrinking more and price is increasing more.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            But our economy is in a "historically good place" right now!!!

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm told that then I look at my investment portfolio.
            Numbers don't lie and they ain't great.

Bastages.

Comment

Been noticing this for quite a while, mostly on ice cream but on many other things as well. Packages stay the same, but the contents are shrunk to less and you’re still paying same or more. I say it’s deception for sure.

Comment

Another example of how the food industry is one of the most devious there is. 😡👎

Comment

ComfortablyNumb If these products were made and sold by a small, mom and pop operation, I would agree with you 100%. Even if they were made by a medium-sized, local/regional company, I can see how this could be one strategy to remain viable in the face of rising prices for intermediate goods. And this can be done transparently, at any size of business. However, I suspect that most of the shrinking packages are from large corporations that can switch package sizes quickly with little impact to their bottom line. While they are able to protect their margins so that shareholders don't see a stock price drop or loss of dividends, the consumer is the last one in the food chain (literally) and has little recourse other than to pay the higher unit price if demand for the product is inelastic (which, for ice cream, I doubt it is). Moreover, prior to the enactment of the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act in1967 consumers wouldn't have been aware of any change in the size or weight of the package without measuring or weighing it. So, the only reason the package size changes aren't technically deceptive is because of regulatory requirements. I'm not suggesting that further regulations be enacted to require companies to label new packaging with labels like "NEW PACKAGE SIZE", but what if they were to do it voluntarily, as an advocate for the consumer? "It would drive Victor Lambert crazy!" - from Miracle on 34th Street.

Comment

Chocolate Ice Cream with fudge brownie swirl topped with froze, chunky peanut butter. Charge me whatever you want. I am done.

Comment

• WayneT
                    WayneT commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We all have our weaknesses and indulgences. 👍

Shrinkflation is everywhere now. We opened a regular sized box of saltines yesterday and the cracker sleeves were only 2/3 normal size. I actually find it insulting. Guess they think we’re all stupid.

This is not new. I remember over 50 years ago. (Yes I’m a geezer) when a “pound can of coffee” became 15 ounces. I was shocked. I thought a pound of coffee was a sacred thing. Why not just give us a pound (or whatever) and charge a fair price?
                  Last edited by Texas Larry; November 22, 2022, 10:23 AM.

Comment

may have mentioned this before, but bathroom tissue rolls are being cut at least 1/2" shorter than they were before (in other words, a more narrow roll of paper). You may have the same number of sheets per roll, but the overall square footage of paper being sold is fewer.

Source: newly-purchased packages stack shorter when placed next to older packages in the cabinet

Comment

• smokin fool
                      smokin fool commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, see Walmart for that one up here.
                      They're house brand used to dwarf everyone else's
                      Probably shrank by ateast a third over night and they upped the price

We wouldn't have pointed out the 1.44 qt ice cream package if we didn't all suffer through the 1/2 gallon - to 1.5 qt downsize many years ago.

We just hope the 1.44 qt is a temporary trend and the smart manufacturers stick together for the slightly larger container.

Otherwise, at this rate they'll only be selling selling "single scoop" containers. You may think that .06 of a quart is not a big deal to lose out on -- but that's almost 2oz of missing ice cream, which is almost a full standard scoop (normally 2.5oz)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here