Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Bath Crème Brulee--Recipe edit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Bath Crème Brulee--Recipe edit

175-180 target. ChefSteps recipe. With my silicon pads on the bottom I get plenty bubbling and circulation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_14846.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	124368
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; November 28, 2015, 10:51 AM.

Slowly chilling

Name:	image_14852.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	124384

Comment

Almost......

Name:	image_14853.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	124389

Comment

Little brulee on top.

Name:	image_14854.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	124396

Comment

OMG, I love Creme Brulee!!! I've never had the guts to try it at home though. I'm very impressed Jerod.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            VERY easy following ChefSteps recipe.

I've added a bit to the ChefSteps recipe. I switched to the short wide mouthed half pint jars and I couldn't quite fill up 5. This should do better on the next batch.

12 egg yolks. (original recipe calls for 11, hence the scale up on everything else)
          655 grams Heavy Whipping Cream
          3.3 grams salt
          98 grams sugar

ChefSteps is here to make cooking more fun. Get recipes, tips, and videos that show the whys behind the hows for sous vide, grilling, baking, and more.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
            Potkettleblack commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm gonna scale it up to fill a 9x9 inch dish, and pour it from a baggie to the dish. Will chill it in the 9x9, transport to work with kitchen torch, and brulee it a la minute.

This jar stuff is for kids.

I've been cooking so much of the stuff I hope I never have to eat it again.
          Attached Files

Comment

Too much of that stuff make yer pants shrink.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              I have pants that fit fine I bought in 2000, Dickies. I think the smell of the 158 degree heavy cream mixed with the egg yolk-sugar-salt mixture has me full of this crap.

I ate some of the first batch, nothing since.
              Last edited by Jerod Broussard; December 16, 2015, 12:49 PM.

Are you prepping for a shindig?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Christmas gifts for the teachers at our christian school. Wife is the secretary for 1/2 day so she felt obligated to give something.

NO dessert other than this for moi.

Jerod Broussard I am going to try this soon, Did you preheat the cream before mixing in the egg yolks?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Yeah to 158, but pour very slowly into egg mixture.

• SMOG MAN
              SMOG MAN commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks

I don't understand. What is the big deal with creme brulee??

Comment

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              It's incredible, that's what.

NICE!

I've gotta disagree on one point. I think a shallow dish is far better--lots more burnt sugar per bite. Those of you who are intimidated, DO try it. It is easy as Jerod said, even when not using sous vide. Just don't muck with it by getting fancy and adding crusts or fruit to the custard. Egg yolks, cream, sugar, maybe some vanilla or other flavoring (Grand Marnier, Kahlua,...) is all you need. Basic is best.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Yeah we use the wide mouth short fat little dudes now.

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              A protip from a chef friend: Some Kool Aid flavors work brilliantly for CB. Better than liqueurs.

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              Potkettleblack WOW Kool Aid! Gonna have to give that one some thought! At this point, I'm not sure what flavor to try.

Love creme brulee yours looks fantastic. I've only made it a few times so far but it's on the short list again. I needed a reason to buy and use chefs torch and creme brulee was as good a reason as any! So much fun using that torch to caramelize the sugar.
            Try adding some orange zest for a nice flavor

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              I use my kitchen torch for lighting my pellet tube way more than I use it for food.

Ooooooooohhh ahhhhhhh

Attached Files

Comment

Ex's coworker wanted to try some. That little torch in the background is sweet. This will be my 1st go with it. I used it to dissipate the bubbles on top and that dude got a super concentrated flame.

Name:	20211004_115344.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1104976 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211004_114727.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1104978 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211004_121907.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	1104977

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here