Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chutney! Why don't we talk about it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chutney! Why don't we talk about it?

I guess this would be directed more towards our European friends even though Chutney has its origins in India.
    From what I understand it can be spicy, sweet, or a mix thereof.
    In my overseas travels I ran into Chutney quite often and usually Mango Chutney.
    I am an admitted condiment freak. If a condiment can be used to enhance or bolster a dish I will rub it on, dip it, or eat it on the side. I avoided it like the plague when I first saw it out on the table but once I gave it a shot I was Hooked.
    I don't see it mentioned on here ever, and feel like a large part of America is missing out on a tasty treat.

Any input from our overseas members on the popularity of Chutney in their countries?

I think people here just aren’t familiar with the word "chutney" but do many things that are similar to it. All the different board sauces, salsas and others, just a different variety I guess. Perhaps I’m mistaking chutney as well.

But you mention mango, and to me, I think a mango salsa that has chopped jalapeño, red onion or a shallot and a little cilantro with a splash of red wine vinegar. Maybe that’s still a little different than a traditional chutney, but chimichurri sauces, all of that.

either way, I’m with you on the condiment side of things -enhance the dish with it and bring out the overall flavor of everything! Will be interesting to see what others have to add to your post! Thanks for bringing this subject up! Time to expand my knowledge!

Comment

I like chutney, and we've bought some different kinds over the years. I'm never sure just when and how to use it, though. How do they use it in India and Europe? Do you spread on foods (what kind of foods), or put some on the side like Americans do with cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving?

Comment

Not a fan of the stuff, but alot of pubs, where I lived in the UK, had some sort of chutney on the menu and the 3 local farm shops where I lived had their version on sale.

Comment

Mrs Balls is South Africa's flagship chutney and my go to. We always have on hand and mainly used when I prepare spicy dishes.
          It gets used as an ingredient and as a side with curry dishes.
          It's very versatile and used for numerous things.
          To name a few.
          Burger glop.
          Great topping on a "boerewors" (grilled sausage) roll.
          Dip for all kinds of things including fries.
          Pairs well with cheese and lightly spread on a toasted cheese sandwich is really good.
          The list goes on.
          Every chip manufacturer has a chutney flavour in their range.
          At every market you will find outstanding homemade chutney's.

Comment

• Cheef
            Cheef commented
            Editing a comment
            EVERY work boat on all the African Coasts will have Mrs. Balls in every mess room. THAT is the oneI remember. It is GOOD!

I have not paid much attention to it because I here jelly when chutney. I'm not a fan of sweet in my sauces or dishes unless we're talking dessert or fruit or BPJ's.
          I make a Beef Curry recipe that uses Major Grey chutney which is very good. I did not know they could be spicy also.
          Tell us more please.

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            I buy them at markets or the local store. There are so many varients its almost impossible for me to start and besides I'm no expert. I know a few people who make chutney. I'll see if I can squeeze a hot / chili recipe out of them.

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            holehogg thanks. I will go online and see what I can find.

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Have not forgotten. Asked 2 people one said not sharing and other will get back to me.

My Dad was a big chutney fan. I hated it as a kid. It was weird chunky spicy jelly. I like it now spread on grilled chicken breast or pork chops but don't have it often.

Comment

I’m a big chutney fan. Goes great with grilled meats. Here’s my recipe for apple chutney (with some dried peaches in it) and it has a gentle kick too:

This apple chutney is really superb complement for a cozy autumn dinner with friends. It has a bit of a sting, but not too much, so everyone can enjoy.

Comment

I have not had chutney in years. I know something was missing in my BBQ life.

Comment

• Cheef
                Cheef commented
                Editing a comment
                I believe it would surprise you.

Looks like somebody who made too much jelly and didn't have enough biscuits.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheef View Post
                I guess this would be directed more towards our European friends even though Chutney has its origins in India.
                From what I understand it can be spicy, sweet, or a mix thereof.
                In my overseas travels I ran into Chutney quite often and usually Mango Chutney.
                I am an admitted condiment freak. If a condiment can be used to enhance or bolster a dish I will rub it on, dip it, or eat it on the side. I avoided it like the plague when I first saw it out on the table but once I gave it a shot I was Hooked.
                I don't see it mentioned on here ever, and feel like a large part of America is missing out on a tasty treat.

Any input from our overseas members on the popularity of Chutney in their countries?
                I get the chutney that Trader Joe's has. Why ? Because it is very affordable and pretty good quality, not that I'm an expert.

I often add a little green tobasco along side the chutney to spice it up a bit. Although I learned to eat it with curry, I use it sometimes on stuff like lentils, beans, etc.

At a local Nepalese restaurant I like a little on the naan sometimes.

Comment

this made me think of something i havent had in god knows how long. back in the uk we used to put it on cheese sammies but i cant for the life of me remember what it was called

Comment

I too love chutney. Coriander chutney? Yes please.

Here's a fun recipe using mango chutney to make an appetizer. It's always appreciated wherever I take it, unless the guys snag the Hot Wing Dip instead, that is.

Delicious, light and impressive. You may want to double the recipe..... Enjoy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic8KGg71.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	913906

Kathryn

Comment

Been long time since I had chutney. We would have it on lunch meat and cheese sammy's to add some flavor to an otherwise floorless sammy. Love that stuff. There must be plenty of recipes floating around the net.

Comment

Oh yeah, also good with some rice ! Especially prepared in one of the ways they do it in india, eg biryani (used to have frozen at TJs, not sure about now).

Yeah just remembered, TJs has those lentil/garbanzo prepared dishes in pouches, eg. tikka masala, madras lentils etc. Some of those are a bit spicy and for me the chutney takes the edge off.

OK I admit it, I shop a lot at Trader Joe's. I went over there today to buy 2 things, hamburger buns and cultured butter (it's from Brittany, France not Spears). Ended up buying $58 worth of various.

Sorry, going a little off-topic here, but TJs has everything pumpkin currently. I bought some pumpkin salsa and pumpkin waffles, passed on the Pumpkin spaghetti sauce, maple syrup, well here is a list, you get the picture:

Trader Joe's Finally Released Its 2020 Pumpkin Products, And We Want Them All

Pumpkin empanadas, people.

Trader Joe's just rolled out its pumpkin-flavored fall products, and there are SO many to choose from (though, thankfully, pizza is not one of them). These are the items TJ's enthusiasts on Instagram have spotted in stores so far, but the grocery store has also sold pumpkin body butter, toaster pastries, and mini pies before—so there's almost certainly more to come.

1. Spicy Pumpkin Curry Simmer Sauce

This delicious new item will create the most cozy and comforting fall meal ever. At only $2.99, it's certainly worth a try.

2. Pumpkin Empanadas

Another new item, these empanadas are perfect for a dessert on the first chilly night of fall.

3. Pumpkin Bisque

This creamy soup will run you $3.99, but you'll get several filling meals.

4. Pumpkin Spice Protein Smoothie

Who say's seasonal food can't be healthy? You can get 11 grams of protein while feeling festive as hell.

5. Pumpkin Bread And Pumpkin Spice Batons

When you hear pumpkin bread, you probably think of some soft quick bread, but this healthier alternative is filled with seeds and cinnamon bits for a filling breakfast.

And those pumpkin spice batons next to the loaf? They're the perfect treats with which to stir your PSL.

6. Pumpkin Tortilla Chips

These smokey, slightly sweet, and perfectly salty chips will be the star of your appetizer table.

7. Hold The Cone Pumpkin Ginger Ice Cream

Yes, ice cream is still in season with these mini, spicy ginger cones topped with pumpkin ice cream.

8. Pumpkin Cheesecake

This frozen treat is an excellent last-minute Thanksgiving Day add.

9. Pumpkin Ravioli

Yeah, that pumpkin sauce up top belongs all over these bad boys.

10. Pumpkin Bagels

Made with pumpkin flour and pumpkin pie bits, these bagels are legit.

11. Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Bagels

We were already well aware of TJ's pumpkin bagels, but this year they're selling gluten-free ones, too. SCORE.

12. Pumpkin Waffles

Make Eleven proud and buy yourself some toaster waffles. In case you forgot how affordable TJ's is, you can buy a box of eight for $1.99.

13. Pumpkin O's

If you're a Cheerios fan, you'll probably like TJ'S sweeter version.

14. Pumpkin Spice Coffee

Make your own PSLs with TJ's pumpkin spice ground coffee. It's made with ground vanilla beans, pumpkin oil, orange peel, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg.

15. Single Serve Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cups

If you're more of a Keurig kind of coffee drinker, grab some pumpkin spice k-cups. These ones are naturally flavored with cloves, cinnamon, and other spices.

16. Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread and Muffin Mix

Gluten-free folks should be able to enjoy pumpkin baked goods too. This mix works for making loaves of bread or muffins.

17. Pumpkin Pancake & Waffle Mix

You're familiar with the gluten-free version they've had for years, but TJ's also has a gluten-full version of the stuff, too.

18. Pecan Pumpkin Instant Oatmeal

For a slightly healthier pumpkin breakfast, this whole grain oatmeal is your best bet.

19. Pumpkin Joe-Joe's

Who doesn't love a Joe-Joe? Especially when it's pumpkin flavored.

20. Spicy Pumpkin Samosas

You can put anything into a samosa and we'll eat it, but this new offering looks particularly amazing.

21. Pumpkin Ice Cream

Edy's, Halo Top, and Ben & Jerry's all have their own versions, too, but "Pilgrim Joe's" dessert is a steal at $3.99 a pint.

22. Pumpkin Spice Granola Bark

We'll be snacking on these all season. The bark is made with oats, almonds, quinoa, pumpkin seeds and purée, and dark chocolate, and it sounds like the trail mix-turned-cookie we never knew we needed.

23. Pumpkin Butter

Not to be confused with pumpkin-flavored butter, this guy is more like apple butter. You can make a pasta sauce with it, pour it over ice cream, or spread it on toast. Or, you know, eat it by the spoonful.

https://www.delish.com/food-news/new...pkin-products/
                        Last edited by zzdocxx; September 20, 2020, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• Cheef
                          Cheef commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I do love PUMPKIN!! Except for pumpkin flavored coffees. I will puke on your shoe if you get too close with pumpkin flavored coffee.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here