Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soy sauce refrigeration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soy sauce refrigeration?

I purchased a jug of soy sauce from Costco since I think it would be more cost efficient than buying little bottles. The thing I’d like to know from you all is do you refrigerate your soy sauce? It says to refrigerate and many articles I’ve seen state that refrigeration is for taste. What is your experience? I’ve never seen or heard of soy sauce going bad (at least not in a reasonable time).

Mine is in the fridge, been there for the better part of a decade. Used sparingly, and that's putting it lightly.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Can you please stop staring at me? You’re freaking me out as much as FireMan does.

Mine lives in the pantry, same as my parents before me, no issues to date. Though we do use it fairly frequently, maybe that's the trick, probably go through 500ml in less than 6 months

Comment

Refrigerate >> yes.

Comment

I refrigerate the big Coscto bottles, but the bottle that I keep transferring it to I keep in the cupboard.

Comment

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          this is what i do aswell

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep!

My understanding is the supermarket brands are shelf stable. If you buy the high end unpasteurized sauces then they need to be refrigerated. If it's cooked, I have my Kikkoman on the shelf. If it's for dipping or uncooked I have my Japanese imported in the refrigerator.

Comment

We were surprised when we saw that on the label not to log ago. We always kept in pantry.

We keep in fridge now, right next to the butter.
          Last edited by HawkerXP; August 19, 2020, 06:33 PM.

Comment

According to https://stilltasty.com/fooditems/index/18347 for best quality in an open bottle 6 months in the pantry but 2 years in the fridge

Comment

I've never refrigerated soy sauce.

Comment

I refrigerate my soy sauce. But I suspect it is pretty stable in the pantry. I have a big jug of worcestershire sauce that I'm storing in the pantry. I say go for it if you don't have the room in the fridge to spare.

Comment

Fridge, have no idea why. Small bottle. Not used too much.

Comment

I had no idea you should. I don't put mine in the fridge, I leave it in the cupboard but I use it regularly and it's not that big (a pint). If I were doing the fine, Japanese stuff, fridge. Might try it with the regular stuff too to see of the quality maintains better there.

Comment

If the manufacturer says do it, do it. I refrigerate mine. Although I don’t have any bulk gallons. I currently have multiple Chinese & Japanese types & they’re all keepin cool.

Comment

Mixture. The cheap store brand in the cupboard but if I buy a higher end one it goes in the fridge.

Comment

Thanks now I have a craving for Asian Cuisine. Doing a trip to Wegmans tommrow. For us it's a day trip 100+ mile RT. Mainly for beef, bourbon and a couple of other items in the over 21 section. Can't beat their $$$. So, now I'll be looking at the Asian food buffet. Take home for dinner.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here