Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That Time of Year - Making the Smoked Ghostly Garlic Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That Time of Year - Making the Smoked Ghostly Garlic Salt

Late fall, garlic have been harvested and cured (and lightly smoked). Ghost Peppers are harvested as well.
    Time for my 2019 Smoked Ghostly Garlic Salt!

Smaller batch this year - Ghost Pepper ripened pretty late. But, the garlic was a great harvest.

Decided to add some of the younger (green) Ghosts. Tasted one - still very hot!

A little change this year - I added some Spanish sea salt as well as the Himalayan Pink salt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191030_053817.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	770856

I put them in my KBQ when I did a long smoke (Beef Ribs). Took the Ghosts out and put them in a dehydrator for a half a day to make sure they were nicely dried.

The salt went into a bag - then back on the smoker a week later when I did some ribs.

I like to smoke the salt at least twice. Usually they get around 18-24 hours in the smoker. Salt is so dry, it takes time to get that nice smokiness on them.

Smoked the garlic the second time I smoked the salt. Around 4 hours.

Put the garlic in a dehydrator for 2 days - believe me you want them dry dry dry before you try to crush them!!!

Garlic into an old grain grinder then dump on the hand crushed peppers sitting on the salt.

Name:	20191118_172940.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	770857

I usually do 2 lbs of salt, maybe 30 peppers and lots of cloves of garlic.

Mix it up in a covered tupperware and let age for a few weeks.

Something new I am trying with this years version... Adding some dried Garlic bulbils. These are the tiny bulbs that come from the flower of hardneck garlic. You can plant one - and you will get a single clove. Plant that one a year later and you get a small head with a few cloves. Take a clove from that one a year later - and a nice size head of garlic.

They have a nice light garlic flavor - a bit mellow and sweet but garlicky none the less.

Name:	20191118_173928.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	770858

They are in the dehydrator now, in a day or two I will crush them up and add the the mix.

Should be an interesting version ;-)

What is your traditional recipe, method?

Comment

Less if you want it less hot. For the garlic - at least 30 bulbs depending on size. I like to slice the cleaned cloves and smoke them on the salt.

Grind the garlic using a grain grinder:

They need to be REAL dry.

Mix all together and put into salt grinders!

Comment

Not something I see myself doing but it sounds awesome!

Comment

I likie.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here