Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dill pickle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dill pickle question

I have some Kirby cukes, some fresh dill, some garlic, vinegar, and pickling spices, and salt and peppercorns. What I don’t have are mustard seeds and dill seeds.

I’m thinking these are going to turn into pickles anyhow. How much pickling spice per quart Ball jar do you think? For dill and garlic I’m thinking maybe 3 cloves garlic, and a handful of dill weed.

If you use pickling spice it probably contains some of the seeds you are missing. Mixture sounds about right to me.

Comment

So maybe a tablespoon of pickling spice?

Comment

Comment

That sounds about right. Make sure your pickling spice mix is for dill and not sweet or bread and butter. A large grocery store should have the mustard seed and dill seed. Or if you if you live in Pittsburg or Philadelphia, Penzey's spices have a store in each.

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point. I can get the seeds locally, but I don’t want to use the car and the time.

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the heads up; I opened and sniffed, and it is definitely for sweet pickles: cinnamon, allspice, cloves, etc. Not a problem, I like sweet pickles and will definitely make a jar. But it would be disaster with dill.

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Mosca glad to have remembered it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	12DD48BD-381A-4B87-B638-B05CBBD5913A.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	746429

Comment

I couldn’t wait a week, I had to try these yesterday (2 days). They are OUTSTANDING. I followed Meathead ‘s recipe almost exactly, substituting a handful of dill weed for one of the tablespoons of dill seed: he called for 4 tablespoons of seed, I used 3 tablespoons of seed and a handful of fresh dill weed. I did this because I had a bunch of dill weed I wanted to use up, and also because it looks cool in the jar. The pickles are plenty dill-y.

Comment

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              It is fun to watch them change over the course of a week or two.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here