Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lettuce wedge salad w/ smoked tomatoes and homemade blue cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lettuce wedge salad w/ smoked tomatoes and homemade blue cheese

Ok, so this isn't exactly bbq, but using Meathead's smoked cherry tomatoes on homemade wedge salad's are the bomb. I did not get pics, but wanted to share the blue cheese recipe. I cooked all except the lettuce of course on my PK360. This super simple and a different way of using your cookers.

1). Smoked tomatoes via Meathead posted article on free site.

2). Smoke some pecans or almonds, get them crunchy. Maybe consider candied almonds. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...mate-bbq-snack

3). Bacon on your cooker is the way to go, cook to your liking. Set aside for crumbles.

4). Make this dressing a couple days ahead, it's worth it. Just like in the recipe description, it doesn't coat your mouth but still has the rich full flavor of blue cheese dressing. I put some.of the cheese and use my stick blender then put fresh crumbles in as I serve it, some don't like the blue cheese bite like I do. https://breadboozebacon.com/homemade...eese-dressing/

5). I quarter the iceburg lettuce, drizzle the dressing over the top, sprinkle pecans, tomatoes and bacon on top. Enjoy. Fresh black pepper is good too

My wife make a salad along these lines but with walnuts and dried cranberries.
    Skies the limit on additions to this salad though I have to admit she can get carried away with them.

Comment

• au4stree
      au4stree commented
      Editing a comment
      I tend to stick with the lettuce, bacon and dressing, but do like the smoked/toasted almonds or pecans. I tend to shy away from sweet on my salads but understand there are those who do like. For me, the tomatoes are perfect for this application. We've really enjoyed them.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with you on the sweet thing with salads, I usually pick out the cranberries, she calls me a big baby and life goes on....

IMHO there is no better salad than the wedge! Bacon and blue cheese certainly go a long ways.

Comment

I toast the wedges on the grill for a couple of minutes or 5 depending how hot it is and how much smoke it is producing. Love a wedge, BC and bacon salad. Will have to add the tomatoes.

Comment

Sounds good. I’d also consider grilling the lettuce or grilling radicchio or cabbage also for this. Radicchio would add bitter that might play well with the sweetness of the tomatoes?

problem with the tomatoes is that they are gone before you can make a salad.
        Last edited by Polarbear777; September 19, 2019, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Because I was born after 1980, I like to add avocado to the wedge, on the side with a little garlic salt. I know, crazy right? Someone under 40 would add Avo to something. 😂

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here