Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Salt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Salt?

Salt is a condiment, right?

I’m curious to know if anyone has tried to make their own smoked salt and if you were satisfied with the result.

I’ve read a lot of articles about making your own smoked salt. Techniques are all over the map - cold smoking, smoking at 225-250, smoking at 350, etc. It seems that if you try smoking at 225 you have to smoke longer (8-12 hours), but at 350 you can smoke for 2-3 hours and supposedly the taste is the same. Armed with that info, I tried to make some applewood smoked salt on my Weber 26 inch kettle and SNS. I used a chimney of lit B&B lump charcoal (which actually may have been overkill) and placed 3 chunks of applewood on top. I made sure that my smoke was wispy and blue before putting my salt on the grate.

I used Maldon Sea Salt and put it on a cheap splatter screen, making sure to spread it out evenly. I put in on the indirect side and let it smoke for 2 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so. Initially my temps spiked to 380 but I finally got my temps to settle in at 320-350.

Verdict - honestly, I’m not as pleased with the results as I was hoping. The salt has an off-smell and the taste is not as smokey as I thought it would be. Perhaps the high heat initially messed up my cook. Another thought is I should have completely scrubbed my grate first. I did scrape it down with foil but there may have been enough char on the grates to affect my results.

So, I’m curious... those of you who have successfully created good smoked salt, what worked for you?

I have yet to read of anybody having a qualified success when trying to smoke salt. The only suggestion I'd make is to mist it with a bit of water to help smoke adhesion and to put whatever tray you are using in the freezer for an hour, with the salt on it, and then put it in the smoker as cold as possible, misting the salt right as you put it in. I would think an hour would be plenty. If by that time the salt hasn't picked up much smoke it's probably not going to unless you periodically mist it.

Comment

I've tried it and brown sugar. Both were a big failure. Led me to the belief that I should just smoke the food and use regular salt & brown sugar. But, I admit I gave up easy because it wasn't important to me.

Comment

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm considering giving it a shot the next time I'm smoking something. I won't fire up a smoker for the sole purpose of smoking salt, but if I'm using it for another purpose and have room....

• ColonialDawg
        ColonialDawg commented
        Editing a comment
        I’d be careful with that, Jeff, as I’ve read that the salt will take up flavors of whatever else you are smoking. Best to smoke it alone.

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        ColonialDawg Thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware of that.

I've never tried to do it myself, but I found some of this stuff. It's absolutely out of this world. Been using it on everything....

I found it in the grocery store but you can get it on Amazon for about $6.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Falk is the bomb.

I got some smoked granulated salt as a gift, got some pepper too. Both were good. Never thought to try to do it myself though. I actually found the pepper more versatile, as you can add it without fear of over salting whatever you are cooking, particularly if you are adding some other high sodium ingredients like beef base, soy, or Worcester.

Comment

JGrana is the man for making smoked salt. He has hooked me up in the past. It is great stuff!

Check out his post here.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I can vouch for th deliciousness of his Smoked Ghostly Garlic Salt, an extend yet Another Heartily Felt, Very Grateful Thanks fer his kindness, an generosity! :cheers JGrana

I smoked salt with hickory pellets on my Yoder at 180. Don’t think I left it in long enough, so very mild smoke flavor. I’m going to try again. Just seems like a good idea.

Comment

Just because it's about smoked SALT I wonder if using liquid smoke would work.

Comment

I’m with Huskee, if I want a smoke
            flavor, I’ll smoke it, and add salt before or after.

Comment

Nope BUT I have smoked peppers and ground them. It is unbelievable in chowder as a condiment.

Comment

This is the recipe I follow. It is very low and slow. https://www.wellpreserved.ca/smoked-...ow-to-make-it/

Comment

I started smoking salt several years ago. I use kosher salt. Put it in a clay flower pot drain base (new of course) and just leave it in the smoker. Then when I am cooking I give it a stir whenever I open the cooker to check on things. Then when it gets to the color of brown I like (or I run out if my last batch and need more) I take it out, put it in a sealed plastic storage container, and use it just like regular salt. I refill the pot base and start a new batch. Never thought if it as a substitute for liquid smoke or for smoking food, but if you are going to add salt anyway why not smoked salt? But I am one those guys who can't think of any food that would not taste better smoked.

Comment

I would think it profitable to smoke a saline solution and then dehydrate the salt out of it.

There's a process in Charred and Scruffed for making some kooky salts that involve dissolving the salt in a liquid, and then dehydrating. That would be roughly the process I would use, if I had an easy way to dehyrdate.

Comment

Smoking salt crystals is a labor of love. I make a batch of smoked Garlic, Ghost Peppers and Salt every year. The garlic and Ghost Peppers are easy to smoke. Salt (I use Pink Himalayan course) takes a few sessions.
                      I typically order 2-4 lbs from Amazon, put them on an aluminum rack pan and smoke them for at least 2 sessions on my KBQ. Top rack - stir maybe once or twice while working the ribs or brisket or chicken. Between smokes, I put the salt back into the bags they came in.
                      I usually start late summer for the 1st session (often brisket). Then, by September I smoke some ribs for the cold winter months. Again, the salt goes back onto an aluminum pan (disposable type that I can make last for a long time!). This is when I put the garlic and Ghost Peppers on the smoker - on top of the salt.
                      By the end of the second smoke, the salt has been bathed in long smokes to take on a nice flavor.
                      Good luck - smoking salt takes a loooong time.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                        Mr. Bones commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bowin to Th Master...

• JeffJ
                        JeffJ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        How long do you smoke it for?

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Bow to the great one!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here