Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: Ketchup & Mustard Brands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POLL: Ketchup & Mustard Brands?

When you buy ketchup (or catsup, if you insist on that spelling) or yellow ballpark hotdog mustard, do you look for a specific brand or do you just buy the cheapest because they're all the same?
    Ketchup (catsup) and mustard MUST be my favorite brand, no generics allowed
    50.00%
    Ketchup brand matters, but all yellow mustard is the same
    23.48%
    Mustard (yellow) brand matters, but all ketchup is the same
    9.85%
    I don't notice a difference so I always grab the cheapest of either
    6.06%
    I'll buy the name brand if I see it, but the generic is fine too I suppose
    10.61%

I gravitate toward Heinz ketchup, but if I'm in a bind or let's say camping and need some, I will buy generic w/o a second thought. Mustard to me is all the same so I look for the cheapest $.99 or less bottle.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack I thought it was implied, but I'm referring to standard yellow ballpatk style, not the fancy stuff

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I guess you did say "(yellow)" but all I could think of was real mustard. My bad.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      And Mayo has to be Best Foods!

Pretty much word for word what Huskee said.
    When Heinz closed they're ketchup plant in Leamington and moved everything to the US there was a big Trumplike move to buy French's ketchup, a Canadian brand that took over the Leamington facility.
    French's did put a big dent in Heinz's business but we always seem to gravitate back to Heinz.
    Old habits die hard.
    Another consideration is most generic brands are probably produced by Heinz, Hunts or French's and packaged as generic.
    May add eye of newt, wing of bat or a coupla toe nails change it a bit but....
    Last edited by smokin fool; August 15, 2019, 07:10 AM.

Comment

I try to ensure that i have my fav brand at all times.. but it's not the end of the world if i have to use a generic brand..

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m with you 👊

I usually buy Heinz or Hunts ketchup, but i gotta have Gulden's spicy brown mustard.

Comment

• shify
        shify commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. Got no use for yellow mustard. Gulden’s for the win

I try to stay with Heinz or Hunts for ketchup, but personally care more about the mustard and mayo as condiments! Dukes is my new favorite mayo, after reading about it here, and I'll take about any brand of dijon mustard (doesn't have to be Grey Poupon!). After that would be Goulden's spicy brown, and French's yellow.

Comment

My family is annoyed that I don’t care what brand of ketchup or mustard we have. I rarely use the red stuff so no big deal. Mustard tastes the same to me.

Now mayo, it’s gotta be Duke’s.

Comment

Heinz ketchup and Frenches yellow mustard, but I also like spicy brown mustard and like to try different brands.

Comment

• N227GB
            N227GB commented
            Editing a comment
            Same here with Heinz and French's and Publix has a BOGO on them on a regular basis so the pantry is always stocked.

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep - Heinz (and we prefer "Simply Heinz" - sugar instead of corn syrup). French's for yellow mustard though we like a variety of mustards as well.

Ketchup: Heinz, Hunts in a pinch. Mustard: Gulden's spicy brown, French's yellow, dijon I'm flexible on, other types depends on what I can find when I need it. Yes, SWMBO does complain about how many different mustards I keep...

Comment

About the only thing I use ketchup for is fries. Otherwise I don't have much use for it. When I make a bbq sauce I generally start with a prepared sauce (which has a lot of ketchup I suppose), so it's not something I buy a whole lot of.

Mustard, on the other hand, comes in so many different types, grinds, amount of heat, etc. If you just use plain old yellow mustard (boring to me) then you're missing out on a whole world of varying flavors. Compare Colman's English yellow mustard to good old French's and experience a world of difference just as one example. Not sure there are too many blends of ketchup that even come close to the variety of mustards out there.

Comment

• Dan Deter
              Dan Deter commented
              Editing a comment
              Somehow I forgot about Coleman's. Always have a can in the cupboard.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I just mean regular yellow hotdog mustard

This is sorta like "how much smoke flavor is too much?". I'm not much of a ketchup guy, use it more as a sauce component than as a straight condiment, but still a lean toward Heinz. As for yellow mustard it's gotta be Plochman's . Dijons and brown we move around trying different stuff whenever needed.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              Had to look that one up, website says their new flavour is Fig Mustard.

• Uncle Bob
              Uncle Bob commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, haven't got on board with their flavored stuff, just the mainline yellow.

Whataburger ketchup/mustard are the only brands worth buying...

Comment

• mnavarre
              mnavarre commented
              Editing a comment
              Not a ketchup guy (it's an ingredient, not a condiment), but Whataburger's ketchup is pretty damn good, as far as ketchup goes.

• tstalafuse
              tstalafuse commented
              Editing a comment
              Probably just me or my imagination or the voices in my head, but their mustard seems to be more mustardy than others I have tried as well, for what it is worth.

• ALapeno
              ALapeno commented
              Editing a comment
              Whataburger Spicy Ketchup!

Red Gold ketchup for me. My great-grandfather, Scott Prather, used to grow tomatoes that were processed at the original Red Gold canning plant in Trafalgar, IN. I think Red Gold might be a regional brand. it's not that different from the national brands, but it comes down to a loyalty thing for me.

For mustard I tend to buy "styles" of mustards rather than name brands. Chinese, German, chunky, brown, Dijon, etc. The style is more important for the particular use. So I probably have four or five different types of mustard in the fridge.

Comment

• IowaGirl
              IowaGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Red Gold canned tomatoes are sold in our local groceries -- good brand. Hadn't noticed their ketchup on the shelves, but I haven't really looked either. I'll pay more attention now.

I have a strong preference for Heinz ketchup, but will buy Hunt's or Del Monte occasionally, and try to stay away from generics. Mustard is such a diverse category, it's hard to generalize. I buy mustard more for the type (brown, stone ground, Dijon, horseradish, sweet-hot, etc.), except that if I limit my answer to yellow mustard, I can say that I haven't noticed a huge difference in the various brands. (Based on the above, I want to try Coleman's know, though)

Comment

Ketchup - Heinz ketchup when available. If not, anything other than Hunts.
              Mustard - Been making my own dijon-style mustard for a couple of years (it is incredibly easy), so that's my go to. If I need a different style, I don't have much of a brand preference.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here