Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayonnaise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mayonnaise?

I noticed on one of the recipes Mr. Cantwell suggests using a thin layer of mayonnaise rather than mustard before adding a rub because it adds more fat than mustard does. I don't know about anyone else, but that makes perfect sense to me. I have always applied a thin layer of mustard and it always worked, but mustard does not have the fat content that mayo does. I'm going to give it a try.

Use regular mayo, not low-fat or, especially, fat-free.

Comment

Yeah, give it a try. I never use binders but I do use mayo on my steaks from time to time before cooking. I like that method.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I can confirm that regarding steaks. Got the idea from pkadare a few weeks ago. Did a reverse sear on a steak, thin coating of mayo, then off into the cast iron for searing. 30 seconds a side. Best sear I've ever done.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, for large cuts, I don't use a binder at all either. Attjack

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        I use mayo if I don't have butter when making toasted sandwiches (I don't do marg).
        See it already mentioned below.

I was surprised the first time I saw my wife make a grilled cheese sandwich. She put mayo on the outside rather than butter, and it came out good.

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        I tried that but didn't like it as much as butter or margarine. A chef friend suggested a 50-50 mix of mayo and butter. I haven't tried it, yet, however.

Mayo is one of Life's Best Kept Secrets--IMO. Has anyone used Mayo in a board sauce?--I haven't but just wondered.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
        JimLinebarger commented
        Editing a comment
        You mean instead of oil? That is interesting and it has got me thinking about the next time...

Sounds like we need a poll! Hellman's or Duke's! Another contender: Blue Plate.
      Last edited by HawkerXP; August 7, 2019, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
        JimLinebarger commented
        Editing a comment
        I have had Duke's in a list on my Amazon account for over a year. I might just have to get it.

• Bobby Q's
        Bobby Q's commented
        Editing a comment
        Blue Plate. No Contest

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Kewpie has good flavor, but is highly overrated considering the cost. I will stick with Miracle Whip. I have tried Hellman's, Kraft, et al., and to me they have less flavor. I guess it all depends on what you're weaned on. All we had was Miracle Whip in the house and I never tried actual mayo until I was in my 20's.

mayo is the key to a killer grilled cheese. what youre proposing makes total sense. def use full fat.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely!!!

Mayo is one of my favorite condiments
      . Right up there with Parmesan and bacon!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here