Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chipotle Mayonnaise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gcdmd
    commented on 's reply
    Also good as a dip for fries. A great burger joint, called Bigz, in San Antonio serves it, but I think they just blend the chipotles or chipotle powder (probably, since theirs is smooth) with commercial mayo.
    Last edited by gcdmd; January 28, 2020, 10:27 AM.

• Steve B
    commented on 's reply
    I can see this for egg salad.
    Almost makes it a deviled egg salad.
    Now I’m hungry.

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    One time while making 2 minute mayo I wasn't paying attention and started the blender out of the container and plunged it in. Liquid, oily egg. I haven't done that again (yet!)
    Last edited by Dewesq55; January 29, 2020, 12:49 PM.

• Dewesq55
    replied
    Looks great. I also make a version of Kenji's 2 minute mayonnaise. I only use 1tbsp of lemon juice, 1 tsp of Dijon mustard, 1 whole egg, a pinch of salt and 1 cup of neutral oil (usually canola). The method is exactly as you describe. We are not big mayo people. In fact, I won't eat commercial mayo. So I only make this when I have needed for mayo in a recipe, such as Kenji's Caesar dressing. We usually end up throwing some away after a few days. Sometimes Barbara will but it on a sandwich or in tuna salad. It's very good.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Johnston
    replied
    This is turning out to be a great post. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• surfdog
    commented on 's reply
    Oh, I get it!
    I'm just one of those people that loves watching first time immersion blender users ramp that sucker up right at the surface. LOL

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    Sounds like justifiable MCS to me @Mr.Bones. If you really need an excuse!?

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    True but you need to start the emulsion on the bottom without air and slowly draw in the oil, which will work well if you let the oil float up first.

• surfdog
    replied
    Sounds great!

But this made me chuckle...
    "While off, lower the immersion blender into the cup until it reaches bottom.
    Let eveything (air bubbles, oil etc) settle for about 20 seconds."

Well now that does take some of the challenge/fun out of it! LOL
    Last edited by surfdog; July 11, 2019, 02:41 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    After being warned by all Kenjis old articles I never bothered to test it again, mostly because the subtleties of good EVOO is probably overwhelmed/(wasted$$) in these mayos as you said much better than I.

• Histrix
    commented on 's reply
    Actually, I posted the link to the article because it says that using EVOO in a blender/food processor really does not "ruin it" counter to the Cook's Illustrated claim of a decade ago.
    Even if some varieties of EVOO might get a little of a bitter taste from using a blender I doubt that in a recipe such as this with such strong flavors as chipotles it would be noticeable to most folks. But that is where experimentation is fun!

• Polarbear777
    commented on 's reply
    Yep. I should have looked at that reference. Thanks.
    Last edited by Polarbear777; July 8, 2019, 06:48 PM.

• Spinaker
    replied
    Thanks for posting this! This stuff sounds great!

Leave a comment:

• Histrix
    replied
    Regarding the use of EVOO in a blender/food processor which "ruins it"- https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/06/...re-bitter.html

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Ya got my mouth waterin'.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here