Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chipotle Mayonnaise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chipotle Mayonnaise

Made this up since I’ve been making mayo for a while now. Finally got around to writing it up.
    Ingredients
    • Immersion (stick) blender.
    • High-sided blending, meauring etc. cup just wide enough for the blender head to reach the bottom.
    • 2 whole egg (it is absolutely crucial these are fairly fresh-old eggs lose emulsifying power)
    • 3 tablespoon lime juice
    • 1.5 teaspoon dijon mustard
    • 3 medium clove garlic, peeled and crushed
    • 3 pinches Kosher Salt (or to taste)
    • 2 1/4 cup avocado or other vegetable oil.
    • 7 oz can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (use the chipotles and any liquid thst sticks to them as you remove them but don’t use all the liquid in the can)
    Put everything _except_ the oil and chipotles into the blending cup.

Pour in one cup of the oil.

While off, lower the immersion blender into the cup until it reaches bottom.

Let eveything (air bubbles, oil etc) settle for about 20 seconds.

Turn on immersion blender to maximum speed. After about 5 seconds you should see an emulsion forming. Move the blender head around and up and down until everything in the cup is smooth and it looks creamy.

Add about half the remaining oil.

Continue to move the blender head around until everything is combined and it looks and has the emulsified consistency of mayonnaise.

You should have a stable mayonnaise now and can add half the chipotles, blend, add the rest of the oil, blend and add the remaining chipotles and blend.

Can add more oil if the chipotle liquid thinned it out too much.

Spoon into a container and store in the fridge for a week or so, if it lasts that long.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FBA4C265-F795-4CE2-8560-DDD93B7D2C00.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	99.4 KB ID:	709233
    Last edited by Polarbear777; July 8, 2019, 06:49 PM.

Thanks. That sounds great.

Comment

Copied, pasted, and saved. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Good looking stuff. What you use it for?

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          Anything where you’d use mayo. Especially burgers...

• au4stree
          au4stree commented
          Editing a comment
          There’s a local Cajun joint that puts this (their version) on their shrimp pi-boys.

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Also good as a dip for fries. A great burger joint, called Bigz, in San Antonio serves it, but I think they just blend the chipotles or chipotle powder (probably, since theirs is smooth) with commercial mayo.
          Last edited by gcdmd; January 28, 2020, 10:27 AM.

Please stand by...droolin in progress...
        Gonna haveta try this, reckon I'll lazy out, an use store boughten mayo, first round...
        Figger out my ratios, then go all 'scratchbuilt' if/when I have th time, or th occasion merits it

Thanks fer th Inspiration, Brother!

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          I do keep dukes in the fridge also because one can never be allowed to run out of mayo. If you’re using dry you probably want to toast them and rehydrate a bit?

The most tedious part is cleaning up, so I figure I’ll make from scratch since I’m firing up the blender and supplies anyway.

Without a stick blender this would be much more work.
          Last edited by Polarbear777; July 7, 2019, 03:31 PM.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm zackly right there, where ya spoke bout, Amigo...
          I don't have a stick/immersion blender...
          Reckon, I'll haveta address that there particular shortcomin, sooner, rather than later...

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like justifiable MCS to me @Mr.Bones. If you really need an excuse!?

This looks great! Saved to Paprika.

Comment

I like chipotle mayo for shrimp po boys.

Comment

Ya got my mouth waterin'.

Comment

Regarding the use of EVOO in a blender/food processor which "ruins it"- https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/06/...re-bitter.html

Comment

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep. I should have looked at that reference. Thanks.
                Last edited by Polarbear777; July 8, 2019, 06:48 PM.

• Histrix
                Histrix commented
                Editing a comment
                Actually, I posted the link to the article because it says that using EVOO in a blender/food processor really does not "ruin it" counter to the Cook's Illustrated claim of a decade ago.
                Even if some varieties of EVOO might get a little of a bitter taste from using a blender I doubt that in a recipe such as this with such strong flavors as chipotles it would be noticeable to most folks. But that is where experimentation is fun!

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                After being warned by all Kenjis old articles I never bothered to test it again, mostly because the subtleties of good EVOO is probably overwhelmed/(wasted$$) in these mayos as you said much better than I.

Thanks for posting this! This stuff sounds great!

Comment

Sounds great!

But this made me chuckle...
                "While off, lower the immersion blender into the cup until it reaches bottom.
                Let eveything (air bubbles, oil etc) settle for about 20 seconds."

Well now that does take some of the challenge/fun out of it! LOL
                Last edited by surfdog; July 11, 2019, 02:41 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Comment

• Polarbear777
                  Polarbear777 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  True but you need to start the emulsion on the bottom without air and slowly draw in the oil, which will work well if you let the oil float up first.

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh, I get it!
                  I'm just one of those people that loves watching first time immersion blender users ramp that sucker up right at the surface. LOL

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  One time while making 2 minute mayo I wasn't paying attention and started the blender out of the container and plunged it in. Liquid, oily egg. I haven't done that again (yet!)
                  Last edited by Dewesq55; January 29, 2020, 12:49 PM.

This is turning out to be a great post. Thanks!

Comment

Looks great. I also make a version of Kenji's 2 minute mayonnaise. I only use 1tbsp of lemon juice, 1 tsp of Dijon mustard, 1 whole egg, a pinch of salt and 1 cup of neutral oil (usually canola). The method is exactly as you describe. We are not big mayo people. In fact, I won't eat commercial mayo. So I only make this when I have needed for mayo in a recipe, such as Kenji's Caesar dressing. We usually end up throwing some away after a few days. Sometimes Barbara will but it on a sandwich or in tuna salad. It's very good.

Comment

• Steve B
                    Steve B commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I can see this for egg salad.
                    Almost makes it a deviled egg salad.
                    Now I’m hungry.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here