Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorite store bought salsa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's your favorite store bought salsa?

I prefer to make salsa when I have fresh tomatoes in the garden, but that only happens in the summer. Cherry tomatoes are an OK substitute other times of the year, but I also buy salsa when I don't have home grown tomatoes.

BTW - I love to drain off the juice from homemade when there is too much. It's a refreshing drink, and I'm thinking it would make a great south of the border style Bloody Mary.

Anyway, my current favorite is Clint's Salsa. I can pronounce all the ingredients, and it has a very fresh taste. The local chain where we shopped did not carry it, but they got bought out by Martin's and they carried it. I eventually tried it and loved. But that store discontinued it, and none of the other groceries in the area carried it. I eventually found out I could order it from Walmart and pick it up in store with no shipping.
    Then Martin's was bought out by Publix, and they carried it. However, they have recently discontinued it in the one we shop at. I asked if they could order it, but haven't heard back yet. I guess I'll have to see if I can still get it at Walmart if my Publix can't get it...

So what do you buy?

I like Newmann’s Peach salsa. Donning my nomes gear now.

Comment

Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper Salsa. I try to make my own, but this is my go-to when the ingredients don't cooperate...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Mrs. Renfro makes some guuudddd $#¡+, !!!

• Wedunne
        Wedunne commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, man, I love that stuff, but it's way too hot for me! Even when I dilute it with "regular" salsa, it's still hotter than I can handle. But I eat it anyway, because it's so good. The pain is worth it sometimes.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm a longtime fan of Mrs. Renfro's Habanero. Didn't know they made ghost pepper.

Mateo's, which you can get bulk at Costco. I also like the Frontera line, particularly the Guajillo.

https://www.amazon.com/Frontera-Rust...%2C227&sr=8-17
      Last edited by Murdy; June 8, 2019, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• au4stree
        au4stree commented
        Editing a comment
        I second Mateo’s. My entire family agrees on this one.

I like La Victoria salsa verde, a tomatillo salsa. I also like a local pico de gallo from Mad Cat Salsa.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	taco-salsa-hot-old-el-paso.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	691681

Comment

Frontera Tomatillo and Ring of Fire Xtra Hot Habenero. But 9 times out of 10 we make our own from. Favorite site for recipes is from my favorite Mexican food blog: https://pinaenlacocina.com/?s=salsa

Comment

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            2nd the Frontea. They also make red salsa but I have not tried it.

I'm not really a salsa fan but on occasion I do like dipping my tortilla chips in Pace Medium. I take care to not get chunks on my chip and just some of the juice.

Comment

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            We used to make a chip dip that was just a jar of Pace original with a block of Philly cream cheese mixed into it. It was surprisingly good.

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            You could run it through a blender. Just sayin'...

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            Second the motion on Pace. It originated in San Antonio and used to be limited to that general area. Campbell bought the Pace family out a number of years ago. So, I assume it's gone viral by now.

If I don't use various of my own, Mrs Renfro's Jalapeño Hot Green Salsa is what I grab, 90+% of th time...it's THAT Good!
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Mrs Renfros 003.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	691715

Comment

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            smokin fool Gluten free salsa?????????????? I'm confused. Wheat goes in what salsa?

• Red Man
            Red Man commented
            Editing a comment
            I like to eat gluten free salsa with gluten free tortilla chips 😁🤣

• Tax Man
            Tax Man commented
            Editing a comment
            One of my favorites!

Del Real Salsa de Molcajete Rojo. www.delrealfoods.com. Available at SoCal Costco's.

Comment

Brookshires brand. The one from the refrigerated isle, not the shelf stable one. Next to that, Julio's

Comment

Hell on the Red from Telephone, Tx and available at most Texas grocery stores is pretty good.

Comment

I like frontera’s and believe it or not an "organic" Simply Nature hot thick & chunky salsa from Aldi, it has a nice little bite to it. Otherwise we make our own.

Comment

Herdez "Casera" in the little can.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh yeah. So good.

K.

It’s a local restaurant that sells it, Sadie’s Green Chile salsa. My gosh it’s good. Thinking about makes me wanna go the fridge and eat some!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here