Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Sauce History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's an interesting read. Years ago on PBS there used to be a program called "The Spice of Life". They keyed in on a certain spice and followed its origins and use throughout history. Fascinating program, I wish it was still on. Anyway one of the episodes was on the pepper and like the article says, it originated in Mexico, Columbus took it to the new world, then traders like Marco Polo introduced it into the Orient. Since then it's enjoyed phenomenal status in its many forms throughout the world's cuisines.

Thanks for sharing, you reminded me again of the Spice of Life series !!!
    Last edited by Troutman; January 7, 2019, 12:46 PM.

Comment

That's a good read, I always like learnin' new stuff... moreso when it's something I'm actually interested in!

Comment

Cool story. Thanks.

Comment

Lo and behold thanks to the old interweb, YouTube and Wikipedia, The Spice of Life Series from 1983 still exists on line. Here is some interesting videos to further elaborate on the history and use of spices....

The Spice of Life

Comment

While talking about Tabasco, they completely missed Texas Pete's existence...

Comment

• smokinsteve
              smokinsteve commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, Texas Pete made in Winston-Salem, didn't make the article. Neither did Frank's Hot Sauce. The gist of the article is how hot sauces came to be.

That's a hot topic.

Comment

A few years ago Collette planted some Tabasco peppers. One of my summer pastimes is to cruise the garden in the late afternoon with cocktail and stogie in hand, tasting and testing whatever looks ripe. I came across these innocent looking little peppers all brightly colored yellow and orange and decided to give one a taste. I bit off the tiniest morsel from the end and was instantly overwhelmed with pain! The heat fully encapsulated my mouth and literally took my breath away. I ran to the house like a scalded hound and plunged my face under the kitchen faucet for what seemed like an hour before the pain subsided. I don't eat them straight, but they make a great sauce and I recommend them to any of our gardeners out there.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                That page has been in my book Cap!

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                EdF as Harry Callahan said, A man's got to know his limitations.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                And life makes sure we do, regardless of our intentions!

Thanks for sharing the link. It's always interesting reading about the beginnings of such things but usually they are so ancient we have little accurate information.
              My wife and I spend a month each winter near NOLA and always go to New Iberia for two things, the first being a visit to Avery Island where Tabasco is made. They have a fun store with lots of samples (they believe in lagniappe), a new restaurant (sort of a tourist trap but it still has good grub), and a sort of jungle drive (which is worthwhile once). You can also do a mini tour of the manufacturing facility.
              Second, back in New Iberia proper can be found the Conrad Rice Mill. From Wikipedia - "Established in 1912, it is the oldest independently owned rice mill in the United States still in operation." It can be toured and it also has a fun store. We go there to pick up 40 or so pounds of Wild Pecan Rice, which to our thinking is the best rice grown in this country. They also have other culinary items which we like.
              So if you are ever in that neck of the woods, they are but two places worth a visit.

Comment

• jecucolo
                jecucolo commented
                Editing a comment
                When I was in college I had to do a report on Shadows on the Teche which is als in New Iberia. Beautiful!

• Maineac
                Maineac commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed. Very beautiful. We toured it a couple of years ago.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here