Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you smoke and keep around that is not meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CandySueQ
    commented on 's reply
    I didn't smoke this batch. I think a spray of water would help smoke stick. You have to start with moist brown sugar (not dried in the oven), and spread it out thinly on the pan. This may be more suited to pellets or semi-cold smoking.

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    from our own seed. you can buy them in mamy supermarkets though.

• johnec00
    replied
    texastweeter - Never heard of fresnos, but looked them up and they sound interesting. Do you grow from seeds, or buy the ripe peppers? If from seeds, where do you get them? I saw several seed suppliers that list them, but it wasn't clear that they were all the same.

Leave a comment:

• Ricardo
    commented on 's reply
    JGrana,
    This look amazing. I’m going to have to give it a try. I was thinking it would need large salt cristals in a strainer to facilitate smoke contact; however, in your photo it looks like a regular baking sheet straight into the KBQ. I’ll have to try it.
    Thank you,
    Ricardo

• RustyHaines
    replied
    Paprika

Leave a comment:

• JGrana
    replied
    Smoked Ghost Peppers, Garlic and Sea Salt. The peppers and garlic get ground up a bit, mixed with the salt and put into salt grinders.
    My kids have named this "GPS" - Ghost Pepper Salt. I need to supply them every year!!!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20161002_180425.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	575024

Leave a comment:

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    Great song

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    I second CaptainMike BUT you can have my cigars when you pry them from my cold dead hands.

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    oh and capers...fantastic in pastas or with red onion cream cheese and lox on a bagel (smoke that cream cheese too!)

• texastweeter
    commented on 's reply
    send santa MY way. Try smoke drying then grinding red fresnoes, they are great!

• texastweeter
    replied
    salt, cheese, nuts, garlic, spices (smoke dried then ground), water (smoked water ice cubes for scotch and bourbon for the rare occasion i dont take it neat)

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    I haven't been successful at smoking shelved & stored items, like brown sugar and salt. BUT to be honest I gave up after minimal trials because to me it wasn't worth it. 'Not worth it' would surely change if I revisited it with better techniques....

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Do you have any tips? I tried smoking brown sugar once and after a couple hours time and 30 lbs of wood it tasted like regular brown sugar. I gave up after one trial, wasn't very interested in more experimenting. (I suspect wetting it down lightly?) BUT, I like to think it would make my morning oatmeal phenomenal!

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    All mine are very well smoked, as well...
    I can find my cowboy hat in th dark, anytime

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Nice!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here