Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you smoke and keep around that is not meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peppers. Smoke and then dehydrate. I like CaptainMike 's answer much better, though. I couldn't even type my answer at first because I was laughing too hard.

Comment

I was preparing to make some Butcher Block Seasoning and I was wondering what other gems might be out there that I should consider, to up my game so to speak.

Comment

I smoke jalapenos, cayenne, and Carolina Reapers. I grow them in my garden and smoke them all until they are dried. Makes the best Chile powder ever!

Comment

Used to be a bong
          but I’m clean and sober now

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            That caused the DMV wait

My clothes, and everything nearby in the backyard.

Comment

Canned whole tomatoes. I puree them up and use them as a base for KC BBQ sauce, pureed and frozen for chili...

Comment

Green chiles. Vacuum seal and freeze.

Comment

Brown sugar -- really! I've been known to smoke up sliced onions for the freezer. Adds a nice punch of smoke replacing sautéed onions in a recipe.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do you have any tips? I tried smoking brown sugar once and after a couple hours time and 30 lbs of wood it tasted like regular brown sugar. I gave up after one trial, wasn't very interested in more experimenting. (I suspect wetting it down lightly?) BUT, I like to think it would make my morning oatmeal phenomenal!

• CandySueQ
                  CandySueQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I didn't smoke this batch. I think a spray of water would help smoke stick. You have to start with moist brown sugar (not dried in the oven), and spread it out thinly on the pan. This may be more suited to pellets or semi-cold smoking.

Yep, smoked peppers to make pepper garnish powder for Christmas stocking stuffers:

Split and de-seeded:

Click image for larger version

Name:	raw.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	574660

Smoking (6 hours at 125-130º):

Name:	smoking.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	574661

Dehydrated:

Name:	smoked.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	574662

Ready for stocking stuffing:

Name:	bottled.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	574663

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice!

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  send santa MY way. Try smoke drying then grinding red fresnoes, they are great!

I haven't been successful at smoking shelved & stored items, like brown sugar and salt. BUT to be honest I gave up after minimal trials because to me it wasn't worth it. 'Not worth it' would surely change if I revisited it with better techniques....

Comment

salt, cheese, nuts, garlic, spices (smoke dried then ground), water (smoked water ice cubes for scotch and bourbon for the rare occasion i dont take it neat)

Comment

• texastweeter
                    texastweeter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    oh and capers...fantastic in pastas or with red onion cream cheese and lox on a bagel (smoke that cream cheese too!)

Smoked Ghost Peppers, Garlic and Sea Salt. The peppers and garlic get ground up a bit, mixed with the salt and put into salt grinders.
                  My kids have named this "GPS" - Ghost Pepper Salt. I need to supply them every year!!!!

Name:	20161002_180425.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	575024

Comment

• Ricardo
                    Ricardo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    JGrana,
                    This look amazing. I’m going to have to give it a try. I was thinking it would need large salt cristals in a strainer to facilitate smoke contact; however, in your photo it looks like a regular baking sheet straight into the KBQ. I’ll have to try it.
                    Thank you,
                    Ricardo

Paprika

Comment

texastweeter - Never heard of fresnos, but looked them up and they sound interesting. Do you grow from seeds, or buy the ripe peppers? If from seeds, where do you get them? I saw several seed suppliers that list them, but it wasn't clear that they were all the same.

Comment

• texastweeter
                      texastweeter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      from our own seed. you can buy them in mamy supermarkets though.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here