Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you a mayo fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you a mayo fan?

Tastes 100 times better than that MANHELL's (get it?). Most of these ingredients are estimates. I can't be bothered with measurements unless I'm baking.
    1 egg yolk
    1 tablespoon water. I have tried using whole egg but I prefer replacing the white with water
    I tablespoon vinegar. I grab any vinegar closer to me or lemon juice.
    a squirt of dijon mustard, helps with emulsification.
    3/4 to 1 cup oil. Peanut and macadamia nut oil are my favorites. Stay away from olive oil, especially extra virgin, gets bitter after bruising.
    a dash of vietnamese fish sauce (UMAMI on steroids)
    Pinch of salt

Sometimes I add a pinch of chipotle powder, as the one below.

Add all ingredients EXCEPT OIL to your food processor and run it. Then slowly drip the oil in while its still running. After about a quarter cup you can add the oil in a steady stream until you get a thick mayo consistency.

OR, I borrowed this from Kenji on serious eats. This is way easier than pulling out the food processor.
    Use a stick blender, add all ingredients ( except the oil) to a narrow cup or bowl that will barely fit the base of the stick blender. Add the oil last so that it will get suspended over the rest of the ingredients.

Now stick the blender all the way to the bottom. What will happen here is that the running blender will form a vortex like action that will pull the oil down and mix it with the other mess. This mimics the slow steady dripping.

Blast it on max speed and slowly pull the stick blender to get everything "mayonnaised". Once you're satisfied with the consistency, transfer that mess into a jar, taste for seasoning and enjoy.

Fantastic mayo.

Other variations
    For buttery mayo replace some of the oil with melted ghee. This will be a thicker mayo since ghee solidifies in the refrigerator. Just stir before using.
    Replace some of the oil with melted bacon fat....yes, trust me.

Now go forth and make a BLT with bacon mayo..

LOVE me some Mayo, you keep this up, my wife is going to send someone to "snuff" you out.

Comment

You had me at "vortex" then cinched it with "bacon"! Thanks for sharing, I will be doing this.

Comment

Dip some fries in that chipotle mayo and hear the cuss words fly out of mouths!!

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          HAHAHA! Nope, Dallas Texas

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I was in Dallas recently. Be going back in July. Dallas Children's Hospital.

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Let me know. I travel quite a bit but if I'm in town you can show me how to brisket a brisket

Interesting. And to think, I love Hellman's and Kraft.

I take that back, I have Burman's (from Aldi) which looks kind of similar to Hellman's logo & color. Can't remember if I like Hellman's or not.
        Last edited by Huskee; January 23, 2015, 11:02 AM.

Comment

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee, I grew up with peanut butter and miracle whip sandwiches. Don't knock it till ya try it I liked eating tuna sandwiches at my friends because his mom used real mayo and I loved the change! Now I'm particular, ham sandwich needs mayo, BLT needs MW, turkey sand MW, roast beef mayo, etc.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Dr ROK, PLEASE let me knock it w/o trying it!!

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          just put some on the corner of a piece of bread and try it. You'll like it!

Always preferred Duke's, but making your own allows so much freedom for new flavors. Never thought about bacon flavored.

Comment

I've been meaning to make some of my own mayo lately - and then use that to make my own blue cheese dressing. Sometimes, though, I'm just too damn lazy

Comment

TB, it takes longer and more effort to go to the store than to make ya own.

Comment

Yeah, but there's so much stuff at Costco that I need that I can't make myself

Comment

My wife was just talking about making homemade mayo! Problem is that she is a mayo junkie - I think she could eat it with a spoon!

Heck she evens puts mayo on a hot dog! A hot dog for Christmas sakes!!

The bacon part got my attention also though!

Thanks for the how-to Ernest!

Comment

You're welcome HC. Look at it this way, if you make it yourself then you won't have to google what some of the ingredients are, like calcium Disodium EDTA.

Comment

I posted a link to the serious eats one with the stick blender several days ago.

Comment

Make mine all the time also, like the stick blender idea. Lemon juice is a must, and this is a great springboard for other flavored mayos (think sriracha, chimichurri, pesto ...) and aioli!

Comment

I love Sriracha Mayo but my go to is with a touch of Vietnamese fish sauce.

Comment

It's anybody here concerned or worried about the health risks of raw egg mayo? Do you pasteurize your eggs?

Comment

• Ernest
                            Ernest commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Not worried at all. I could easily pasteurize by "sous viding' the egg at 135 but there's no need.

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here