Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you a mayo fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ernest, thanks for sharing. I have been avoiding making my own Mayo but with this demo you gave I won't be able to resist. Especially with the bacon drippings on the BLTOP's that I make.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewesq55 View Post
      It's anybody here concerned or worried about the health risks of raw egg mayo? Do you pasteurize your eggs?
      DEW, I don't worry about raw eggs in my mayo. I also use raw eggs and raw milk making my ice creams and they are great. I have been using raw milk for years now as I have a digestive disorder and the enzymes that are in raw milk take care of the problem naturally. The farmer I get my raw milk from is very concerned with sanitation and he sells a lot of raw milk. I get my eggs from my neighbors farm about a 1/4 of a mile down the road. he also has has a nice clean farm and is concerned about his sanitation also.

Comment

One of the things I want a sous vide machine for is pasteurizing eggs.

Comment

• _Keith
          _Keith commented
          Editing a comment
          If you already have a crock pot, google "crock pot sous vide" and you'll find that people sell thermocouples for about 100 bucks that you can use with a crock pot

I don't worry about raw egg yolk mayo for the same reason I don't worry about having my eggs with runny yolks. That said, I do wish that the FDA would require chickens to be immunized against salmonella like they do in Europe.

Comment

• _Keith
          _Keith commented
          Editing a comment
          In the UK in 1997, there were over 14,000 cases pf salmonella from eggs. In 1998, they instituted mandatory vaccination; in 2009, there were 581 cases of salmonella from eggs.

• _Keith
          _Keith commented
          Editing a comment
          Meanwhile, in the US, the FDA estimates that there are 142,000 illnesses each year caused by eating salmonella-tainted eggs. A 2010 review of literature found vaccines to be highly effective in preventing salmonella infection.

• _Keith
          _Keith commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds pretty effective to me.

I don't usually worry about such things either, by choice, but it would be nice not to have to worry about them at all.

Comment

Most FDA recommendations are quite outdated.

Comment

Ernest have you every made this in larger batches? Doubling or tripling the ingredients of your recipe?

Comment

Dr ROK I haven't done that yet. I like to keep just enough handy.
              Try tripling the ingredients with a cheap oil just as an experiment, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here