Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayo or Miracle Whip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daughter-in-law, a lifelong Texas girl, grew up on MW. She never had mayonnaise until I introduced her to Hellman's. Now, fortunately, my grandchildren have been spared MW, at least at home, since this happened before they were born.

Interestingly, my wife, also a lifelong Texan, and I, a peripatetic military brat and naturalized Texan (for 40+ years), never knowingly had Duke's until we went to a cooking class recently. It's excellent, but we still use Hellman's Light to hold down the calories.
    Last edited by gcdmd; August 5, 2018, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Vladimir Putin and Kim Jong-un both prefer Miracle Whip

Comment

Mayo is a wonderful product that I use as a base to make different sauces by mixing with others. A favourite is mixed with a sweet chili sauce for chicken burgers. Mixed with a garlic peri-peri sauce for a pasta salad. I use Crosse&blackwell @ R25 for 375g versus Hellmans @ R85 makes sense when diluting with other condiments. Never bought a bottle of hellmans and will for a taste test. My son makes a good homemade mayo but hasn't in a long while.

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          R25? R85?

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          The monetary unit in South Africa is the Rand

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahhh, makes sense now. He used the budget brands, since he was gonna mix it anyways. I get that.

it's nice to see that MW is making a respectable showing!

Comment

Here's what was for lunch today, made last night, with a mix of Hellman's and Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180803_125812.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	542568

Comment

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, Crab Salad. C'mon over! Made about 2.5 lbs. The buns are made here in town, and people drive over from the bigger town 11 miles away, where they have the same store, because ours are better.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            Only if it's real crab... The Wife will sometimes order something with "crab" in it and then realize it was imitation crab when her face starts swelling up! Well... used to, anyways. We always ask to be sure, nowadays!

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry, it's the fake stuff.

I like MW and Mayo. I like MW on turkey sandwiches especially. When I want mayo it’s Dukes!

Comment

Mayo, mayo, mayo. I'ma have to try this Duke's stuff, it sounds like, but man, MW is de debil. That stuff is vile...

Comment

Just ordered some Duke's and now have an account on their site. Can't wait to see if this stuff is truly the Miracle that everyone says it is.

Comment

mayo on sandwiches...miracle whip on slaw...

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "The horror! the horror"! Vinegar on the slaw: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm#serving

• Bogy
                  Bogy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Vinegar! (Shudder) Slaw should NEVER be made with vinegar! Creamy is the only way to go. For years I didn't think I liked spinach. Then, when I ate it somewhere besides home, I discovered I loved spinach, I didn't like the vinegar my parents put on it. Same with my mom's slaw. I can tolerate the potato salad mom made, because it's mixed in with MW. Pickles are the only good use for vinegar.

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As they say, "You can't argue taste"! ;-)

If I don’t have MW, I won’t have a sandwich.

Comment

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL. Some of us remember that one.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here