Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home made gluten free Hoisin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home made gluten free Hoisin

We had some friends over for holiday ribs last night and I did one of my favourite recipes ever, Char Siu (http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn..._siu_ribs.html).

One of our guests is gluten free to the extreme which presented a problem for Char Siu due to the inclusion of Hoisin sauce (almost always has gluten in bottled versions). I stumbled upon this recipe and it is fantastic, great flavour that beats the snot out of any mass produced gloppy bottled garbage. The Char Siu didn't skip a beat with this sauce, as I had rave reviews from my guests.

Dead simple to make, any Asian grocery store (and some mainstream grocery chains) will have red miso paste, it will be found refrigerated or frozen in the store. Brown rice vinegar is also easily found at any Asian grocery stores, but regular rice vinegar can also be used.

Lee’s Hoisin Sauce
    Recipe from It’s All Good by Gwyneth Paltrwo
    (Can be shared with kids 6+ mos)*
    Makes about 1 cup

1 tablespoon neutral oil (like canola, grapeseed, or safflower oil)
    1 large garlic clove, minced
    1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
    1/2 cup red miso paste
    1/2 cup maple syrup
    2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
    1. Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and five-spice powder and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
    2. Whisk in the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and cook, whisking or stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Let the sauce cool before using. It keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days.

Thanks for the good recipe. I cook a lot of Asian food, and gluten free recipes abound. In the case of Hoisin, the included gluten is usually from the thickening agent(flour). When I make mine, a bit of cornstarch or arrow root does the trick well.

Comment

Sounds worth a try, I seem to be out of it all the time but I usually have everything else on the list outside of miso paste.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here