Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Ghostly Garlic Salt - 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Ghostly Garlic Salt - 2017

Well, I had a tough patch getting some true Ghost Peppers this year. I purchased the plants from a local greenhouse - but they were cross-pollinated - looked a bit like a Ghost Pepper but were sweet and no heat...
    So, ordered some Ghosts from www.peppersbymail.com. Nice guys, sent me a bunch of Ghosts that were tasty and hot...

Anyway, I needed a batch for the kids, friends, co-workers etc. that I have been giving this fine condiment to for the last few years.
    So far, looks promising!

Ok, I always use Himilayan Salt, course ground. I purchase the 2 lb. bag and smoke the salt on a big tray. Usually when I am doing brisket and/or ribs. I like to put the salt through 2 smoke sessions - they don't absorb too much since they are dry. BTW, using a KBQ as the smoker ;-)

Last weekend I took some of my homegrown garlic, the mail order Ghosts and the already once smoked salt and put them in the KBQ with my pastrami.

Looks good! Here is the pre-smoke - around 2 dozen Ghosts, 6 garlic and about 2 lbs of smoke once salt

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171014_115802 (Large).jpg Views:	1 Size:	535.4 KB ID:	396620

Post smoke - smelled great!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20171014_143509 (Large).jpg Views:	3 Size:	629.8 KB ID:	396623

Now, off to the dehydrator for the final drying. The peppers are pretty dry, but garlic takes days!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171014_144517 (Large).jpg Views:	2 Size:	553.8 KB ID:	396625

Put the smoked salt back into the plastic bag they came in - I like to let it mellow a few days.

In a few days I will course grind the peppers and garlic and mix with the smoked salt.

Should be a good year!

Looks fantastic, hope it's as good as yer previous year!!!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
        Looks fantastic, hope it's as good as yer previous year!!!
        Thanks Mr. Bones! Hey, if you need a refill, PM me.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Many Thanks, will do!
          Down to stems an' seeds, here lol!

What do you use it for? And how hot is it?

Comment

• Pirate Scott
          Pirate Scott commented
          Editing a comment
          This stuff is awesome, I made some it goes with Everything. I am not sure I will ever eat Smashed Taters without it!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Pirate Scott are ya' usin' it on smashed taters at table, or mixin' it in as ya' make yer taters?
          Jus' curious...
          Thanks, Amigo!

• Pirate Scott
          Pirate Scott commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones I put it on at the table, but adding it to the Recipe is a great idea.

That looks amazing. I’m gonna check out the pepper link. Thanks!

Comment

Oh baby! Here we go. I LOVE this stuff. I used it this morning on some eggs.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
            Pirate Scott commented
            Editing a comment
            Ooooooooh, I have not tried that yet!

That looks like a full pan of Goodness to me!

Comment

I guess I mean cooking salt, finishing salt, or both? Looks fairly coarse, so as a finishing salt I feel like I would need a mill.

Comment

• JGrana
              JGrana commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh yes, you need a mill with this blend. The salt is course, I grind the smoked dried garlic fairly course and the peppers as well. Then, I put the mix into a salt grinder. That way I can adjust for either a fine or course sprinkle.

The Final Step - Making the Ghostly Salt...

Well, it's was time to finish the Smoked Ghostly Garlic Salt. This year I had double smoked everything - the salt, the garlic and the peppers. In the past, the salt was smoked twice. But this year, I tried smoking the garlic and the peppers a second time.
            I must say, this worked out well! The dry course salt crystals needs lots of time in the smoker to get a smoked flavor. On the other hand, the peppers and garlic, during the first smoke, get pretty dry.
            I decided, what the hell, throw them back in on a recent smoke (beef short ribs ;-). Wow, nice uptick in the smokey smell and taste. I will do this in the future!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171028_153257 (Large).jpg
Views:	205
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	407193
            Double Smoked Ghost Peppers about to be course ground

Name:	20171028_153648 (Large).jpg
Views:	213
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	407194

The trinity - salt, garlic and peppers - all ground ready to mix

Name:	20171028_153922 (Large).jpg
Views:	218
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	407195

Mixed up and ready for grinders ;-)

Name:	20171028_153721 (Large).jpg
Views:	212
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	407196
            How I roll after doing this for a few years :-)

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Like your precautions! The product looks great!

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Double Smoked???!!!
              Oh Bee Oh Wye!!!!!

EdF , I learn from my mistakes! Once you mix this stuff together, the dust gets into your nose and you sneeze for quite a while ;-)
            Yes Mr. Bones , the double smoking really lends a nice smokeyness to the salt. You get that earthy smoke, salt hit and then - the pepper rush!

Comment

Man! This is great stuff!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here