Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazing Onions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing Onions

Ok, I don't know what to call this, but it's amazing so... A friend of mine showed off this creation and I was just amazed by how good it was. This is just something you would use as a topping for say, brats or hotdogs or whatever. it's a little strange sounding to me, but there's no denying it works!

Recipe:
    • 1 Onion, sliced into thick slivers
    • Coca-Cola to taste
    • Cream Cheese.
    Notice how vague the amounts were? That's because it's largely up to you. He uses about 1/4 block of cream cheese to a medium onion, and doesn't measure the coke.

Method:
    1. Caramelize the onions in a pan.
    2. Add Coke to the pan and let it cook down (reduce) to a syrup that coats the onions.
    3. Add the cream cheese and stir it in until thoroughly melted and mixed in.
    Spread it on something and eat it.
    Last edited by Abom; September 16, 2016, 06:52 PM. Reason: forgot to say how the onion is cut.

"Spread it on something and eat it." Hahaha, that sounds great. I any idea on how much Coca-Cola to use? Half bottle/can? Whole can/bottle? etc.

Comment

I didn't see him add the Coke, but I know it was from a can. He just said he used enough to coat the onions when it cooked down... Precise I know, but hey, that's what us "real" Chefs do right? LOL

Comment

I have been thinking about a dipping sauce for some smoked sausage (assorted kinds) and I think I will try this one.

Comment

Hamburger, with onions and a coke please...👍

Comment

Pepsi will be all over this soon...😡

Comment

Just realized I wasn't clear that we slice the onions, not chop or dice. I think it's easier to handle on a brat that way, but I like that idea of making it a spread. Hmmm.

edit: Ah, I did say to "spread it". I just said it that way because it's so thick. LOL

Comment

This sounds great!

Comment

I do something similar with balsamic instead of Coke. I put it on grilled cheese or on just plain toast.

Comment

• Abom
                    Abom commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This what I'm familiar with as well. Coke is just weird, but it works.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here