Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Authentic Fast-Food Style Onions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Authentic Fast-Food Style Onions

Chud's BBQ is a YouTube channel by Bradley Robinson out of Austin, Texas: https://www.youtube.com/@ChudsBbq His videos specialize in central Texas BBQ and have extremely high production values. He has quickly become one of my favorite BBQ channels.

In a recent video on smash burgers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5HFmzN-t18) he did this really cool trick with dried onions that made my jaw drop.

What he does is take some dried onions and pours them into a bowl....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 12.29.32 AM.png
Views:	184
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	1372499

Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 12.29.41 AM.png
Views:	203
Size:	469.5 KB
ID:	1372496

He then pours water over them and waits 10-15 minutes.

Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 12.29.54 AM.png
Views:	181
Size:	485.0 KB
ID:	1372498

What you end up with are these perfect rehydrated fast-food-style onions! (Apparently, this is what fast-food places do anyway, for the most part.)

Here's what they look like on the bun in the video:

Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 12.29.05 AM.png
Views:	188
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	1372497

I probably wouldn't do this for the smoked thick burgers I do, but these, to me, just seem perfect for a smashburger. (He also has a really good quick pickle recipe in the video mentioned above.)

You can also just mince a yellow or brown onion and soak that in cold water for the same amount of time. Slightly different taste and texture, but the same idea. I'm pretty sure that's what In 'n Out does, and White Castle uses the dehydrated onion.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      He says in the video he is specifically doing it for the 'nostalgia' taste associated with fast food burgers.

"There's a snake in my boot!"

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      That durn snake!

Yep thats how we have always done it. There is none better on a chili dog. Also most amazing if you re-hydrate them in beer. Damn fine on a burger or dog. Its also what I use in my now world pit famous mushrooms but they rehydrate in the mushroom and butter liquid.
    Ive also done them in bourbon to add to cheap store bought sauce to add some zip.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Rehydrating in beer.....bourbon?! It's like there is a little secret of BBQ of which I've been hitherto unaware all this time....

When I managed several Jack In The Boxes back in the '70s, that's what we did. As long as they weren't too heavy, they worked great. But put too many on and they had a sorta odd taste.

Comment

Chuds is one of my faves too! I like the humor Bradley brings to the proceedings, doesn't take himself too seriously. I always watch for the little variations, like what's the random item in his knife roll this time?? I also enjoy how he always drops the meat onto the work surface, BLOP! Never just sets it down. Have learned plenty from ol' Bradley.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        "This is some....meat!" Love the knife roll thing. I think my absolute favorite to date is the single McDonald's-style french fry.

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        "DON'T forget the sides, folks...!" (referring to applying rub)

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        ...rookie move.

That is a great trick. Subscribed!

Comment

Excellent! That is really cool! Thanks for sharing that hack!

Comment

And the particular video I linked is an excellent introduction to his style, with one exception....he doesn't use his offset in the smash burger video, understandably.

He has a culinary background, having worked in several restaurants in Austin. He is also formally trained as an audio engineer. (You'll realize this clearly whenever he chops vegetables.) In addition to the YouTube channel, he makes his current living making custom offset smokers and the burger press you see in the video.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here