Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burger condiment questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've started putting cheese on the bottom.

Normal process is to cook the burger, then melt the cheese on the burger, then spatula-up the burger and set it on the bun bottom, then place the bun top on top of the cheese for transport purposes.

This resulted in the top bun pulling the hot cheese off as you start loading all the individual condiments on. Or the cheese helping to prevent the tomato and pickles etc from staying put on the burger.

What a mess!

So we've started spatula-ing the burgers off the grill, and setting them cheese-side DOWN on the bottom bun, then covering with the top bun for transport. Still get cheesy goodness, and no conflict with the add-on condiments!

We think this is the reference we had that suggested we start putting the cheese under the patty:

The flavor chemist who created Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust Pizza and the McDonald’s McGriddle tells us how to make the perfect burger.

doing so creates a seal so you don’t have quite so much juice flowing directly onto the bottom bun

Comment

We like ours with lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and some french-fried potatoes, big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer.

Comment

• RickyBobby
        RickyBobby commented
        Editing a comment
        Good god almighty which way do I steer?

Green chile usually goes on the burger then the cheese…..

at least that’s how it’s done in New Mexico.

Comment

I only have 2 rules i care about for burgers:

1. no lettuce ON the burger, much prefer a salad on the side vs on my burger. I do like a lettuce wrapped burger if you have nice big leaf crispy lettuce though
        2. if im doing any toppings like sauteed mushrooms or onions then i want them on the burger with the cheese melted over to help keep them in place

Apart from that i dont really care.

Comment

This thread is a "Whopper" have it your way

Comment

After cooking for kids for years we put mayo on both the top and bottom buns. This helps the buns not get so soggy the kids have a mess on their plates or them (hopefully). What's between the buns is your choice. Sometimes for a change I will add Boscoli olive salad for a Mardi Gras burger. But whatever works for you and your family.....no rules!

Comment

For those of you taking steps to keep the juices out of the bun, where do they end up when they run out of the burger? Your hand?

Comment

How soon we forget the best of the West
                (1) Heart Attack Grill: Monument to Greasy Gluttony - YouTube

Comment

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Go there just to get spanked . . . Oh yeh, hurts so good.

A few months ago my doctor told me "quit drinking and lose a LOT of weight or die. Probably within 24 months or less". Well that’s a story for another day but seeing that video again renewed my commitment. 🙄😳

P.S not a drop taken and 36 pounds lost since. 🤞🤞🤞

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                  Jfrosty27 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I didn’t mean to high jack the thread with that. 😬

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You’re fine Jim! 👍

I like a toasted bun with mayo or special sauce slathered on it to create a layer of protection to keep the bun from getting soggy. I typically put pickled on the lower after that. If you're using lettuce I agree it's best placed under the patty.

Comment

First, no ketchup 🤣🤣🤣

I worked at a chain burger place for nine years. We were trained to (building from the bottom up) toasted bun, sauce (mustard, mayo, etc) shredded lettuce, tomato, pickle, etc, burger, cheese, top bun. Like mentioned above, this keeps the bottom bun from getting soggy.

imho, if you have a juicy burger, everything is gonna get soggy. As it should. Now I want a burger.

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    First is most!

• bardsleyque
                    bardsleyque commented
                    Editing a comment
                    if it's not running down your arms it's not really a good burger!

Cross-reference to newer thread:

Some of us were talking earlier about what is the best way to build a burger. I did not want to hijack SUWYC for this discussion. I have almost 10 years of corporate training (same company) under my belt and this is how I do it. From the bottom up: Bottom bun, toasted Base sauce (mayo, mustard, etc) note I did not say

Comment

All taste buds are on the tongue. You should build based on that, to a certain extent. What do you want to taste first, or last? I don't appreciate cold things on a hot sandwich, but some do, wrongly.

Comment

Now I want a burger!

Comment

What I do know is, wherein a getup like that would make it tough to eat anything ceptin air.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here