Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soy sauce preference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kikkoman here.

Comment

We generally use the LaChoy. I have had the kikkoman and honestly don’t care for it, it has a stronger or something taste I don’t like. Not sure how to describe it, but don’t care for it. I’d love to find others that are better.

Comment

I cook a lot of Japanese, Korean, and Chinese so I have a few different soy sauces. They are all available at Asian groceries or online.

1. Kikkoman is my favorite general purpose sauce. Unless otherwise noted, this is the first stuff I grab when in need of soy sauce.
        2. If I'm cooking a lighter type of food and need a broth that should be lighter in color, I use Usukushi style soy sauce. I generally buy Yamase but Kikkoman is also good.
        3. Tamari is a form of soy sauce that was invented in Japan and contains no wheat. It's very mellow and I use it when I do any pickles that require soy sauce or as a dip. Once again, Kikkoman is my go to.
        4. Lee Kum Kee Premium Dark Chinese - This stuff is darker, sweeter and thicker than Kikkoman and used in dishes where you want the dark reddish color. I use it primarily as an ingredient in stir-fry sauce.

Comment

So it's interesting to read of this, but it begs a question I've wondered for freaking YEARS...

Why do the little packets of soy sauce at EVERY Chinese takeout have absolutely ZERO flavor??? It's like... they took the regular soy sauce and diluted it with 4 or 5 parts water! But it isn't pale, it's the same color, just has like... NO flavor! I can put 5 packets of that shite on my noodles, it'll be running everywhere, and I still can't get any of the soy sauce flavor! It's like they're just laughing at us as they throw a half dozen packets in our takeout bag.

Comment

• Draznnl
            Draznnl commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. I gave up on the packets years ago. I pull out my bottle of Kikkoman and use that.

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            Probably been sitting under the counter for 9 years.

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            They aren't actually soy sauce. Those little packets with panda's and such on them are knock offs intended to maximize profits, not flavors. Most of the cheap stuff is made from hydrolyzed vegetable protein via a chemical process because it's cheap and fast. It looks like soy sauce but it isn't a product of fermentation like the real stuff and yes, it tastes terrible.

Hey, ran across this on Serious Eats, a nice overview of the various popular soy sauce styles with recommendations for each. https://www.seriouseats.com/do-you-k...an-differences

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            Very cool! Thank you!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here