Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soy sauce preference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soy sauce preference?

I remember a thread awhile back on fish sauce and there were some distinct opinions that some fish sauce is better than others. What do yall use for soy sauce?

I've been using the ubiquitous Kikkoman. I use the regular soy most of the time in sauces and marinades, with one exception. If the marinade is over four hours, I switch to the low sodium version as often the result is overly salty to me.

I've done a little bit of cursory research and it seems like soy sauce sold in Japan is actually less salty than its American counterpart? Also, it seems that aged soy sauce is a thing as well.

I've seen smoked soy sauce as well. Like you I generally use Kikkoman but also like Pearl River Bridge - their Dark is pretty strong so I use it sparingly or blend with their Light version.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Smoked....now that would be interesting....(and probably expensive).

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      It is. A recipe I was looking at a couple of years ago recommended using Haku Smoked Soy sauce. It is $37.29 for 375 ml. on Amazon. I didn't buy it.

Soy sauce can be a challenge for sure. Kikkoman is also the one I use.

Comment

I bought some highly rated soy sauce off Amazon a while back, but it wasn't enough, (if any), better than Kikkoman. I don't remember the brand...

Comment

I like San-Ji and Aloha for day to day use. Aloha gets used in Hawaiian dishes, San-Ji for everything else. I've got a couple of fancy soy sauces for sushi also.

Comment

I use Kikkoman and also use the reduced sodium version for marinades.

I do have to buy LaChoy if I make one dish. My mother’s Spam chop suey.

Onions and celery sautéed in butter. Add browned up Spam cubes. Add a bit of chicken stock. Thicken with corn starch. Server over white rice with crunchy chow mein noodles. Sprinkle LaChoy soy sauce over top.

It doesn’t taste right if I use another brand soy sauce.

Comment

For daily use, I use Pearl River light (dark occasionally for marinades etc). The cheap brands are all relatively the same, I think.

BUT... there are soy sauces that aren't Japanese or Chinese and I'm just learning about those. Indonesian kecap manis is a sweet soy sauce and there are Korean versions of soy sauce too. And then there are mushroom soy sauces....

There are also traditionally brewed soy sauces (see the Salt episode of Salt Fat Acid Heat on Netflix) which I want to try as finishing soy sauces (think using a very fresh, good olive oil as a drizzle over something as you serve it)
            Last edited by rickgregory; October 17, 2021, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              Great series on Netflix!

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              DogFaced PonySoldier commented
              Editing a comment
              I made my own kecap manis before - it's not hard, just soy with a few extra ingredients. It's pretty good, useful for some things.

It depends on what yer after taste wise. There are sauces for cooking & sauces for dipping. Japanese soy sauc is about 1/3 less salt content than Chinese. Kikkoman is a Japanese type sauce, made in the USA. There are also light & dark sauces that have different tastes & sometime are combined for different effects. These are a few I’m using now plus a Philipino soy sauce that has a touch of msg in it.
            PS. Chinese uses wheat flour, Japanese uses roasted wheat in the brewing process.Click image for larger version  Name:	D99A2829-1CFD-4EAC-AAE0-2FB75AC3EABF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	1111354
            Last edited by FireMan; October 17, 2021, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• wu7y
              wu7y commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually, Kikkoman is a Japanese soy sauce produced in Japan under that brand name beginning in 1917. It had been produced since the early 1600's under another name. We lived in Japan from 1966-1970 and had never heard of it before then. The Kikkoman we buy here is produced by KikkomanUSA in the US but I don't know when that company began production. I believe it was after we returned to the states.
              Last edited by wu7y; October 18, 2021, 12:00 PM.

We have shifted over to Tamari at the house, as shown by FireMan Not that this matters to me (I’m allergic to gluten-free), but I can pull the gluten free card with Tamari. If we are out and about, I tend to reach for the low sodium of whatever is offered.

Comment

You people are ahead of me. I just discovered light and dark sesame oil.

Comment

We usually use Kikkoman for Japanese style dishes, and Swan, from the Philippines, for other uses. I think it makes a difference, although it might be partly psychological.

Comment

Kikoman light, here. Unless you have a specific reason or interest to try something more unique or exotic, stick with the name brand. We prefer the taste of the low sodium vs the high octane.

as for fish sauce, we like Red Boat or Squid. Don’t skimp on the cheap generic stuff here, you’ll know it if you try.

Comment

• smokin fool
                    smokin fool commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Your going to hate me but I use the generic soy sauce all the time.
                    Low sodium also.
                    I usually cook with it as a marinade not a dipping or side sauce so the generic fits what I'm doing rather than wasting the more expensive brands for my cooking.
                    Fish sauce I have never used, the ingrates would have my head on a pole in the front yard if I used fish sauce in any dish.

This is a huge rabbit hole, but here goes: Kikkoman light, or tamari for everyday. Pearl River Bridge dark mushroom soy when you need that inky darkness without too much salt, such as drunken noodles, etc. Korean soup soy sauce when you need, as well as any brand I feel like trying. I taste it first, then assign it a purpose, so to speak. That keeps it interesting..
                  Last edited by Strat50; October 18, 2021, 10:30 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I used Kikkoman for a long time, but switched to Trader Joe's maybe 5 years ago. I find it more flavorful.

Comment

We always keep a bottle of Kikoman's in the fridge along with a bottle of a local Hawaian places signature sauce.
                      I cant come up with a link to the sauce but they sell it by the bottle. Hawaiian style soy sauce. It is a sweeter soy sauce and it is used two to 1 vs Kikomans at our house. For fast food Hawaiian Bro' is excellent. Especially their macaroni salad.
                      Hawaiian Bros Island Grill menu has authentic Hawaiian plate lunches, salads and sides. Catering, pickup and drive thru available.
                      Last edited by Debra; October 18, 2021, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here