Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple Cider Vinegar with "the Mother"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple Cider Vinegar with "the Mother"?

Not paying attention, I accidentally picked up a bottle of apple cider vinegar with "the mother." This is apparently unfiltered and unrefined ACV. It seems to primarily exist for direct drinking (the 'ell?) for health benefits that....are weakly supported by research at best.

Is this stuff even suitable for cooking or sauces? The particles seem to be very, very fine....I don't think I could strain them out. Acidity is 5%, so what normal ACV would be.

Its totally fine to use the same way you normally would. Just need to keep it refrigerated.

Comment

• Jared49
      Jared49 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, what he said⬆️!!!

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Uh, no. Vinegar is shelf stable.

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Ive found the ones with live culture do much better in the fridge but maybe thats me. Its also hot for a lot of the year here.

From what little I know about ACV seems it more Artisan/organic and unpasteurized than regular ACV.
    Acidity can range from 5 to 15% for ACV so yours is on the low end.
    I'd use it personally but I'd think it would have a short shelf life being organic.
    Grab the receipt and return it or get a store credit if your leery of it.

Comment

You could save the mother and use it to make vinegar. Transfer it to old unused red wine, fresh cider, or whatever. I looked into this a few years back, but never got around to it. I know there are instructions online.

Comment

coffee filter, run it through a coffee filter, double up on the coffee filters. Only a suggestion.
        "When in doubt through it out!", or find a different use.
        I hate it when fail to read the label and buy that which it is not.
        Last edited by bbqLuv; September 1, 2021, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          A coffee filter! Of course! I think that may be fine enough for me to get most of it out!

That's the only kind I buy. Never once have I put it in the refrigerator. Vinegar is itself a preservative. You definitely don't need to preserve a preservative. Even if a little a little bit of the mother hovering around the bottom gets into your sauce etc you will not be able to tell a difference. If it's gets sun it will darken, but even then it's fine.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here. Never goes bad on me.

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          +1

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve kept mine out for years, not the same bottle ya know.

My wife always has that stuff in the pantry, and it works just fine in recipes, sauces, etc. It's just a little cloudy. And as others say - vinegar does not go in the refrigerator. It is a shelf stable item, just like your cooking oils and such.

Comment

In a turn of irony, I re-watched the hot sauce video for which I was going to use this ACV....and it turns out, the person uses raw, unfiltered ACV! So maybe the universe was trying to help me out here after all.

And if I think about it.....I'm not going to notice any of this particulates in a hot sauce with all of the other blended ingredients anyway.

Comment

We use it by the gallon for all kinds of things. My wife being Filipino drinks the stuff and uses it and fish sauce like it was water. I buy the one from HEB, I think it's really good stuff...

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
              Michael_in_TX commented
              Editing a comment
              That actually is exactly what I bought! If it's good enough for you, it is good enough for me.

It has become my go to vinegar these days. I stopped using Red Wine Vinegar because I was always going through it and kept forgetting to replace. Bigger bottles of this, and works just as good, and provides a nice taste. Even over regular vinegar in some instances.

Comment

First, research on the value of ACV is NOT minimal. You are lookin in the wrong place. It is outstanding in many ways. DO the research. Second, as some have said, the cloudiness does not come into play. Third, you use different vinegars for different tastes, hence rice wine V, red wine V, balsamic V etc. ya get the picture. But, from a health standpoint ACV is a pillar.
              BTW. When I was cleaning in the hospital many moons ago, we used & still to this day, use it as a disenfectant & it does wonders on shining chrome as in yer faucets n’ stuff. Wash yer sinks & faucets with yer cleaner, then hit it with a spray of 50/50 V & water, the reg distilled V.
              Last edited by FireMan; September 1, 2021, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                What the hell is a 'pillar"? Like a pillar of society, or is it a pillar of health? And by the way, what is at the bottom of a Winnebago?

Yes Troutman & those of you in Oconomowoc, ACV can be a pillar for one’s health. There is a plethora (lots) of benefits (things good fer ya). Winnebago is a large (big) inland lake located almost equidistant (tween) Green Bay (Packers) and Milwaukee (Brewers & Bucks). At the "bottom" or "the foot of the lake" translated to English (mostly used in the Pit) from French (differnt language) it is Fond du Lac. And there ya have it, the bestest I could put together.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here