Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ketchup or Catsup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ketchup or Catsup?

I've never been one to say catsup or buy catsup, but it's darn just about the same thing it seems. Either way, I found this article on the matter worth a read if you've ever wondered about it. And who knew? It came from China!

I found this article HERE .

Origin of the Words Ketchup and Catsup

Both words are derived from the Chinese ke-tsiap, a pickled fish sauce. It made its way to Malaysia where it became kechap and ketjap in Indonesia. Catsup and katchup are acceptable spellings used interchangeably with ketchup, however, ketchup is the way it is popularly used today. "Catsup", which dates to the same time, may well be a different Romanization of the same word, trying to come closer to a sound that doesn't really exist in English.

In the 1800s, "ketchup" was most common in Britain and "catsup" was most common in the US for reasons unknown. The two words never really canceled each other out because in their formative years, there weren't spelling dictionaries choosing a "correct" version of words. (Many Americans pronounced "catsup" the same as "ketchup" in any case.) Today, "ketchup" is the dominant term in both countries.

According to a Heinz spokesperson, Henry John Heinz first brought his product to market as "Heinz Tomato Catsup," but changed the spelling early on to distinguish it from competitors. Del Monte did not switch spellings until 1988, after it became clear that ketchup was the spelling of choice for American consumers. Huntโ€™s switched the name of their product from catsup to ketchup significantly earlier.

History

Seventeenth century English sailors first discovered the delights of the "sauce", a Chinese condiment and brought it to the West. Ketchup was first mentioned in print around 1690. The Chinese version is actually more akin to a soy or Worcestershire sauce.

It gradually went through various changes, particularly with the addition of tomatoes in the 1700s. By the nineteenth century, ketchup was also known as tomato soy. Early tomato versions were much thinner with a consistency more like a soy or Worcestershire sauce. F. & J. Heinz Company began selling tomato ketchup in 1876. By the end of the nineteenth century, tomato ketchup was the primary type of ketchup in the United States, and the descriptor of tomato was gradually dropped.

Ingredients

The basic ingredients in modern ketchup are tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, salt, allspice, cloves, and cinnamon. Onions, celery, and other vegetables are frequent additions. Catsup may be made of tomatoes, onions, cayenne, sugar, white vinegar, cloves, cinnamon, celery seed and salt. So the two do not differ much in their ingredients. But different manufacturers may use different ingredients for the two. Sometimes Catsup may be more spicy than Ketchup.

**And just for FireMan some pics to prove it

Click image for larger version  Name:	c3b_ketchupcover.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	165.6 KB ID:	1045039

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ketchup-vs-Catsup.jpg Views:	7 Size:	64.7 KB ID:	1045043Click image for larger version  Name:	Ketchup_or_Catsup.jpg Views:	7 Size:	27.4 KB ID:	1045041Click image for larger version  Name:	5f9a724f7adfbd9de67a9524e1775e28--catsup-vintage-advertisements.jpg Views:	7 Size:	10.2 KB ID:	1045042Click image for larger version  Name:	catsup.jpg Views:	7 Size:	8.8 KB ID:	1045040
    Last edited by latenight71; June 13, 2021, 04:09 PM.

You must be really bored today.
    ๐Ÿ˜‚

Comment

• latenight71
      latenight71 commented
      Editing a comment
      it's almost happy hour so trying to kill some time.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Just messin with ya. ๐Ÿ˜‚
      Last edited by Panhead John; June 13, 2021, 04:51 PM.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      If the blond comes with that Del Monte bottle Hienz can take a hike

Ketchup...

Comment

I call it cat soup.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Iโ€™m with the Capโ€™n, cat โ€”-souppp!

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Much to the chagrin of my cats

forgot these!

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	257
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1045059

Click image for larger version

Name:	giant-catsup-bottle-mary-anne-erickson.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1045060

Comment

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish I could forget that first one! ๐Ÿคฎ

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        No comment.

Doesnโ€™t matter to me I hate both equallyโ€ฆ

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Donโ€™t beat around the bush, tell us how ya really feel.

Red Magic!!!!

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        ๐Ÿ‘Ž ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Nowadays I don't see bottles marked "catsup" anymore. When I was young the bottles were labeled about 50/50 between the two terms. I like to go to fast food burger joints and ask the teens working the register for catsup. I specify "not ketchup". Always confuses them.
      Last edited by 58limited; June 13, 2021, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        There's that Texas mean streak!

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahahaha

Fun Stuff, Many Thanks fer sharin with us, amigo!

Comment

I call it ketchup, it's magic, and the good people of Chicago can kiss my ___ as I'm putting it on my hot dog because that's how they are meant to be eaten.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
          mrteddyprincess commented
          Editing a comment
          (My great grandpa, Scott Prather, was a tomato farmer in the 1940's and 50's. He sold tomatoes to the original Red Gold tomato processing plant in Trafalgar, Indiana, USA. I grow tomatoes to this day, and I still buy Red Gold ketchup. Where I live ketchup is a staple with even scrambled eggs and mac and cheese.)

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          This explains something about my wife, who is originally from Bloomington. She and all of her family like ketchup and mustard on hotdogs and ketchup on scrambled eggs. Doesn't make it any less weird to me, though. ๐Ÿ˜›

Whatever ya call it, it does go well with certain things.

If you gave me a choice of one of three hamburgers and one had ketchup only, one had mustard only, and one had mayo only, I'd pick the one with ketchup every time.
        But I'd really prefer one more dressed up.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Believe Iโ€™m more....eccentric....

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks CaptainMike - that's the nicest thing anyone has said to me today.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          And I meant it in the nicest possible way, Ron.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here