Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pepper Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pepper Police

Growing up nearly all pepper was white and powdered. My father would sprinkle a whole heap on the top of his hand between the thumb and index finger along with some salt and into his mouth. We never questioned this, it was as it was.
    Up until his passing he would pour salt and pepper over everything without ever tasting anything first. I can't remember quite when but pepper became black and "freshly ground"

I'm led to believe that the pepper police (never seen but they were somewhere poking about in our kitchen cupboard, maybe even reading the expiry dates on our tins, when white pepper suddenly became non grata and we only used black pepper, "freshly ground".

You don't see recipes calling for anything but ground black pepper. What's the difference anyway. It's a fruit that grows on a vine and you can read all about it on the free side @ The science of peppercorns by Dave Joachim.

I have recently been using a lot more white pepper and am happy with the results. Especially in any kind of white sauce or derivative of that. I much prefer white pepper in mashed potato and soup.
    I have not banished peppercorns from my cupboard. and am not saying that to appease the pepper police prowling my pantry.
    The crack of a pepper grinder over a meal is still a delight and cured bacon's joy too.
    So if you not using white pepper be encouraged to go out and buy some or you just might find some intruders to deal with.

I love white pepper. I even have a mead recipe that uses it.

Comment

One is always goin to school around here. Will have to check out Dave’s musing on peppercorns. I have 3 mills & use a mortar & pestle for the other 2 peppercorns I use. One has black Indian Tellecherry , the white is I don’t know & other three are Chinese somethin or others. I have since forgotten except the Sichuan. I don’t use black pepper on anything Asian.

Comment

I'm a fan, I like its smoother more subtle taste in a Korma or burger mince

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here