Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shelf-life of Maple Bourbon Bacon Jam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shelf-life of Maple Bourbon Bacon Jam

What is the refrigerated shelf-life of the maple bourbon bacon jam?
    Thanks in advance,
    PNWGreg

Ha! Shelf life.....for bacon and bourbon???

I don’t think it would last long enough in my house to even worry about it!

I know this isn’t helpful hopefully someone comes along to help. But, a few weeks maybe?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      +1!!!

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 Bourbon
      Last edited by bbqLuv; April 19, 2021, 08:16 AM.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 Bacon Jam
      Last edited by bbqLuv; April 19, 2021, 08:16 AM.

Yep, understood.
    That said, I give some away to my step kids and their significant others and parents.
    I don’t want to sully my rep by giving bad condiments that could be otherwise be outstanding.
    GP

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      hopefully your kiddos and the others enjoy it so much it doesn’t last! Pretty nice gift for you to give out to everyone! You have any photos of said jam?? Would love to see it!

• PNWGreg
      PNWGreg commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Barelfly, I didn’t see how to directly respond to you with the pictures of the jam; I did add some pictures to this string. Please let me know if you cannot see them.

Cooked to temp and sterilised bottles, I regard the jams and chutneys in my fridge as edible until they grow mould. That time period is indeterminate depending on the product but it is at least several months for me

Comment

Waitaminute waitaminute waitaminute, do we have a recipe for maple bourbon bacon jam????? Holy cr@*!!! I know what I’m making soon.

Comment

Here’s some pictures of the bacon jam. My stepson - a confirmed carnivore - put it on a burger and said it was the best burger he’d ever had.
      I used some as a spread on a sharp cheddar cheese grilled cheese sandwich which was also awesome.
      For the bacon in the jam, I used some of my home-cure hickory smoked maple bacon from the recipe on this site.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is a link to the National Center for Home Food Preservation’s Jellied FAQ page https://nchfp.uga.edu/questions/FAQ_jellied.html at the University of Georgia. You might try emailing them for a more definite answer.

The addition of the bacon is the question because you have created a savory jam which doesn’t fit into the standard preservation rules for home canning. Over all, a savory jam should have a pH below 4.6 to be considered safe for preservation. Here is a link to a paper from the University of Maine that might help. https://digitalcommons.library.umain...29&context=etd

I would also point out that preservation of meat by canning is pretty common, but all safe measures use a pressure cooker during canning.
        Last edited by Donw; April 20, 2021, 06:22 AM.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Though that's all for canned things vs refrigerated items. I'd bet on several weeks for that, but not months and months.

• PNWGreg
          PNWGreg commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Donw, I apologize for not thanking you for this great information... I’ve not logged on in awhile.

Oh my! That is just over the top! And adding it to a burger! And a grilled cheese!

HouseHomey he comes up with an caramelized onion jam, he may have some insight on shelf life.

But I gotta make this! And a burger to try it out! Thank you for sharing! That looks wonderful!

Comment

Wonder if it will go with peanut butter?

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh yeah! I love some peanut butter, bacon, banana sandwich.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here