Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Melinda's Hot Sauce Reviews by ZC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melinda's Hot Sauce Reviews by ZC

Some of you may remember this thread ( https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...rite-hot-sauce ) where I went a little bit overboard and ended up buying about 10 different sauces from Melinda's ( https://melindas.com/ ) .

At the time I ordered the following:

Melinda's Amarillo Habanero Hot Mustard Sauce - 2 flames
    Melinda's Original Habanero Extra Hot Sauce - 2 flames
    Melinda's Chipotle Pepper Hot Sauce - 3 flames
    Melinda's Hot Habanero Honey Mustard Pepper Sauce - 3 flames
    Melinda's Scotch Bonnet Habanero Pepper Hot Sauce - 4 flames
    Melinda's Naga Jolokia Pepper Hot Sauce - 5 flames
    Melinda's Red Savina Pepper Hot Sauce - 5 flames
    Melinda's Scorpion Pepper Hot Sauce - 5 flames
    Melinda's Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce - 5 flames
    Melinda's Black Pepper Ketchup (Squeeze)

Some initial reviews:

Everything I have had so far avoids the terrible vinegar flavor that I don't like with Tabasco, so I'd definitely recommend them for those that want something other than vinegar-based hot sauces.

Melinda's Original Habanero Extra Hot Sauce - 2 flames

My least favorite so far. I couldn't finish the bottle. There was no heat or flavor that I could notice on plain eggs.

Melinda's Amarillo Habanero Hot Mustard Sauce - 2 flames

This has some flavor and a very mild heat (a minute if that), but harder to find foods to put it on. I need to experiment more with it. Anyone have suggestions?

Melinda's Hot Habanero Honey Mustard Pepper Sauce - 3 flames

A winner. Imparts a sweet honey mustard flavor with a nice heat that lasts for a few minutes. More or less exactly as described, and perfect for adding to a chicken sandwich that you actually want to be spicy. When I order a spicy chicken sandwich with honey mustard sauce, this is exactly what I expect.

Melinda's Chipotle Pepper Hot Sauce - 3 flames

Smoky and steak sauce like with a bit of heat. Reminds me a bit of the black pepper ketchup, but I prefer the black pepper ketchup. I don't feel strongly about it one way or another.

Melinda's Ghost Pepper Hot Sauce - 5 flames

Another winner. A bright fruity flavor with a ton of heat. My mouth is burning for 20 minutes afterwards.

Melinda's Black Pepper Ketchup (Squeeze)

A winner. A richer and flavorful version of ketchup that reminds you of a good steak sauce but still ketchup-based. Tastes great on everything and preferred in most cases over regular ketchup.

I'm mainly eating these with breakfast (eggs, hash browns etc.) and burgers/sandwiches along with most meat dishes.

Out of the six I've tried so far, I have 3/6 as winners, one needs more testing, and two in the won't order again bucket.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the review.

Comment

Nice review. I love the slow burn in the mouth after eating spicy foods--not so hot as to obscure either the flavor of the food or of the peppers. I think your taste buds have a higher tolerance than mine do, though. I have no interest in ghost pepper preparations because all I can taste is the heat.

What's good to hear is that none of the sauces are too vinegary.

Thanks for the great review.

Kathryn

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, with the exception of one sauce as mentioned, I do get excellent flavor and varying levels of heat. Just what I was looking for honestly in a hot sauce.

Overboard??? I’d say that you are being exponentially thorough

thanks for the write up!

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha. Now I will tell my wife that one.

Volumes:

Anything three flames and below: I practically slather it all over the food like butter.

4 flames and up: A dot of sauce every two bites or so.

Comment

Melinda's Red Savina Pepper Hot Sauce - 4 flames

I was not expecting such a different flavor profile between the red sauces, but this is my favorite to date. Not overwhelming on the heat (my mouth tingles pleasantly versus burning hot), but still lots of peppery flavor. Nailed it.

I still have to try:

Melinda's Scotch Bonnet Habanero Pepper Hot Sauce - 4 flames
        Melinda's Naga Jolokia Pepper Hot Sauce - 5 flames

and I gave away this as part of a gift, so I need to re-order some.

Melinda's Scorpion Pepper Hot Sauce - 5 flames

So far my re-order package would include the Red Savina, the honey mustard sauce, and the pepper ketchup. I will probably also add some other new sauces (a black truffle sauce? a peri peri sauce?). Decisions decisions. I probably have a few months to consider.

Comment

I love Melindas! Some of the best sauces out there.

I still love the Original Extra Hot. I grew up on that stuff. We would put it on everything. I love Carrot based sauces, they are my favorite.

Another good one to try, that is similar........Maria Sharp's. It is made in Belize. I have been to the little factory where they make it......really cool visit.

Comment

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            I feel like I need to try all of the Melinda ones first and there is still so many…

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here