Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken 1-2-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken 1-2-3

Decided to try some smoked chicken monday night so we took out 3 chicken quarters, made a few different sauces and got to cooking.

First off we made some of mh kc sauce as my wife loves sweet sauce on her chicken and pretty much despises anything that remotely tastes like vinegar. Even though my better half can't stand vinegar or mayo I had to make some Alabama white sauce. I has never heard of it before finding this site and it really piqued my interest.

So 3 chicken and two sauces, we decided to leave the 3rd unsauced so we had a baseline for the applewood smoked flavor and the rub

Side note I did an absolutely terrible job with the skin as it was almost impossible to eat however I was still pretty happy with how the chicken turned out overall

That's kc on the left unsauced in the middle and Alabama on the right

And the winner is...

Alabama white hands down, skin or no skin. Even the wife loved it and the only thing she likes in the sauce is pepper. She ended up taking the leftovers to work on Tues and put a healthy splash of sauce on it for good measure!

We'll be doing more this weekend but here in a few hours I'll be trying my first pork butt albeit a small one. Hopefully I can have it done in time for supper tonight!

Nice report.

Comment

Good write up. The food looks great.

Comment

I need to make the white stuff next time I hang some chicken in the Pit Barrel.

Comment

On my first chicken in the PBC the skin was not that good either (not crispy). Not sure why?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            You dry brine, what temps?

• mackdaddy
            mackdaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Rubbed the skin with vegetable oil with the Simon & Garfunkel rub. Only had temp probe in meat. I thought I did not have to work with temp on PBC. Don't know what temp was.

I need to try that stuff sauce, keep meaning to but never do.

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Me, too.

Guys try the sauce, it's quick to make and should surprise you...it did me

I dry brined 24 hours with a 2:1 salt/baking soda like I saw in another thread here uncovered in the fridge. I'm pretty sure my problem was adding water to the cooker. Grill temps were at 295-315 on the indirect side according to my maverick.

Having a get together Saturday and will try again

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here