Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Best of the Best Wing Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a Best of the Best Wing Recipe

We have a weekend at the cabin coming up with family and I would like to do wings on a Weber kettle using the Vortex. I am in search of a best of the best chicken wing recipe we could prepare for the kids and grandkids. Does anyone have a favorite they would be willing to share? Thanks!

I think the link to this video from How To BBQ Right has been provided here before. I've used this recipe a couple of times and really liked how it turned out. https://youtu.be/jpguAa21Rc8

Comment

• bep35
      bep35 commented
      Editing a comment
      I ordered some of the sauces. This looks like a winner.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the link! Those wings looked killer.

I usually just wing it, but teriyaki sauced wings are great for kids because most like sweet stuff.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I say teach them a life lesson and go habanero.

• bep35
      bep35 commented
      Editing a comment
      There will be grandkids there. Teriyaki sounds like a good idea.

I also do the Malcom Reed Vortex method. I vary the rub and sometimes I sauce and sometimes I don’t. They always turn out awesome. It just depends on what flavor we want that day to determine the rub and or sauce. To me the key is the kettle/Vortex method. Works every time and basically fool proof. Good luck!

Comment

I usually do them with a poortex or I smoke them on the kamado. I vary the flavors and they're always good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200513_183617.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	984009

Name:	20200513_183813.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	984010

Name:	20200513_185956.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	984011

Name:	20200822_184113.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	984012

Name:	20200822_191913.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	984013

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, PaynTrain my girlfriend doesn't love wings (or ribs) so I don't get to do them as often as I would like. I don't yet have my signature wing recipe because of this.

• PaynTrain
        PaynTrain commented
        Editing a comment
        Well if you need unbiased trials Attjack , i'm your Huckleberry!

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I see what ya did there w that Primo pic. Perhaps that is the strategy going forward. My problem is that I can't cook enough at a time on the primo. I'm usually cooking for at least 4 and usually more. If I cook a whole chicken (on the upper rack) then I can pawn that off on unsuspecting customer

The vortex is the key to great wings. Everything else is just personal preference.

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen brother.

The best wings are the wings you like!
      Keep it simple and grill it right, my new motto. PBR and chicken wings go together.
      Happy grilling to you.

Comment

I followed John Setzler's technique in this video.

I used the Atlanta Grill Company Lemon Pepper Wing Zing rub..... the wings were fantastic and the skin crisped up nicely!

Name:	IMG_0455.jpeg
Views:	500
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	984170Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0458.jpeg
Views:	491
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	984171

Comment

• bep35
          bep35 commented
          Editing a comment
          My wife loves lemon pepper. These look like a hit.

This is a simple recipe 'cause I'm a simple bloke. Dry brine with baking powder, about 4 tsp/kg of wings for about 4hrs.
        Just stick 'em in a cooker at 180 deg C for 25mins a side on a rack, while they are cooking make the easiest BBQ sauce 50:50 coke and Stubbs Hickory Bourbon sauce and reduce for 15mins, spike it up with your fave hot sauce to suit yourself. Take out the wings and dunk 'em all then return to cooker for ten minutes. Dunk again and another 10mins on the other side and done, never any leftovers in my house.
        Simple is good, rather spend the time with those your cooking for, and drinkin' of course haha

Comment

• bep35
          bep35 commented
          Editing a comment
          Simple is good.

Consider throwing them in frozen or partially frozen. Longer cook time = crispier skin.

Comment

• bep35
          bep35 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hadn't thought of starting frozen. Is that something you have done?

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          bep35 on numerous occasions. It works great.

One part each Franks and Newman's Own Creamy Caesar dressing. I think I picked this up from Huskee. You can vary the ratios for the desired heat and it's still great.

Comment

• jerrybell
          jerrybell commented
          Editing a comment
          bep35 I sauce after cooking. Lately I've been cooking wings from frozen so I'm not dry rubbing them. This makes a quick easy meal but admittedly is not conducive to getting very crispy skin.

• bep35
          bep35 commented
          Editing a comment
          Finding a bottle of Franks Original on Super Bowl Sunday is turning out to be a non-starter. Is Franks Wings Sauce good enough for mixing with Newman's Own or do I need to keep looking for the original? Want to get this right!

• jerrybell
          jerrybell commented
          Editing a comment
          bep35 I'm probably too late for your question but that's probably okay since I don't have a good answer. I've never tried Frank's wing sauce but I'm guessing it's got butter and some mix of spices added to the hot sauce. It might get over oily if you mix that with the Caesar dressing. Although it's traditional for wing sauce, I don't think you need to married to the Frank's. I've used Louisiana in other wing sauce recipes and liked it.

Let me know how whatever you did came out.

Flavor profiles can be easily adjusted for future cooks. The most import step (IMO) is crisping up the skin!

Comment

My neighbor's family is dropping by the backyard for Superbowl. I'm thinking this may call for some wings.

Comment

Just found this on FB in a J. Kenji Lopez Alt group. They recommend dry brining for the best crispy skin if you are not going to fry in oil.

The post.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
              GolfGeezer commented
              Editing a comment
              So I tried Kenji’s preferred, tested method today as we have other stuff for the game. Dry brine overnight, and oven cook at 500* for 20 mins, then 350* for 10. The. Sauced and returned to 350* for last 5 mins. Ugh. Rubbery skin, not crispy at all. Not sure what went wrong. Maybe needed more time at 500*, or not sauced until at the table. Also maybe flip after 15 mins. Or maybe the wings were sub par. On to chili dogs for the game!

• JimLinebarger
              JimLinebarger commented
              Editing a comment
              GolfGeezer What temp did you bring the wings to? I just did some wings (on a Traeger) with a similar method and they came out crispy. However, had issues with flameout and didn't pull them when I went to relighting so they were on longer. Checked them and they were over 195° F, some winglettes at 202. Some got overcooked I believe, but crispy, lol. Not a stellar cook. Gonna drown them in Franks and butter.

• GolfGeezer
              GolfGeezer commented
              Editing a comment
              JimLinebarger The wings were over 170* and the insides were done. I suspect the reason the skin became "rubbery" was due to not letting them go another 5 minutes so that the underlying layer of fat on the skins did not render out. Then saucing re-introduced moisture. A grill would have provided that little bot of char to crisp versus this attempt in the oven. Maybe need to broil to finish in the oven.

HouseHomey should weigh in on this one!

I do not use a vortex, but cooked on a Weber kettle.

Name:	45655A8D-1BF3-4145-A5A9-F0189986A612.jpeg
Views:	393
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	985140

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here