Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Workin on My 2015 Goal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workin on My 2015 Goal.

I while back Spin asked what our goals were for 2015. I said to learn how to do competition chicken. I've been putting it off but summer is slipping by fast so I had to start.

What you are about to see is not pretty. I'm a bit embarrassed even but it is what it is. Here goes.

Its hot in the garage today about 80°. I worked the thawed product from the freezer then straight to the fridge.

Pulling the vein was pretty easy. I struggled with the tendon. Safe to say I need some work on this. Broke lots of toothpicks and spent a lot of time making sure I removed all the broken ends. I was really working fast. I felt like I was up against the heat. I need a better tool for this.

Cleaning the skin is simple but I cant say its easy. Tried a fillet knife. Paring knife seemed better. It doesn't take long for the fat to get slick.

It's a start. Not too focused on rubs and brines and all right now. Just going to do these on the SnS with a little salt at 275°ish.

Like I said it ain't pretty. Forgive me Ernest.

This is another thing perhaps I should have avoided committing to in writing!
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; July 19, 2015, 02:18 PM.

You can hide a lot with a good cook @jon

Get that chicken on the grill!

Comment

Confused about the toothpicks...

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        Confused about the toothpicks...

Got to pull the tendon and vein out with something. Then you need to hold the skin back on for the cook. Pull them for serving. I'm open for suggestions.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          What is this tendon and vein you speak of? I have no idea what competition chicken is. Is it only the thigh?

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Dewesq55 Not sure if thigh is all they use but Its all I can find anything on.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Jon Solberg.

Good luck with the Competition circuit Jon. Do you plan on competing locally or going around the country?

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Well oddly as it sounds I don't plan on competing at the moment. I just want to study it. I get my judging certificate next month and would like judge a few local contest. I hope all this will help me put out a better product in the end.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a great plan. Get the inside scoop

You will be an expert before we know it... I am sure

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here